john courtneidge wrote:
[snip]
> BTW can any recall who was it who marvelled at:
>
>     "The starry heavens above and the moral order within."

Immanuel Kant.  A harder question: exactly *where* did
he write it?

> [ And, perhaps we might add:
>
>     "and the inclusive society around."   ? ]

My psychoanalytic and anthropological backgrounds
would prefer to word this as:

    and the usually ex-clusive society
    in-trojected/in-culcated by childrearing

Kant's two majesties are both constructs of
reason which can give an accounting for itself.

Childrearing is, to borrow a phrase from William S. Burrows:
a virus from outer space, which, since usually all
are infected similarly, seldom do any find anything
remarkable about it (In the land of the blind, a
one-eyed man is adjudged insane).

"Common sense" can mean at least two very different
things: (1) "the obvious" -- i.e., the unwitting
illusions of a whole social group, or (2) that
"sense" which wittingly endeavors to harmonize
the reports of all the individual perceptual
pathways.

[snip]

+\brad mccormick

--
   Let your light so shine before men,
               that they may see your good works.... (Matt 5:16)

   Prove all things; hold fast that which is good. (1 Thes 5:21)

Brad McCormick, Ed.D. / [EMAIL PROTECTED]
914.238.0788 / 27 Poillon Rd, Chappaqua NY 10514-3403 USA
<![%THINK;[XML]]> Visit my website: http://www.cloud9.net/~bradmcc/