-----Original Message-----
From: Sid Shniad [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: December 7, 2000 2:13 PM
Subject: BUSY SIGNAL - The Vancouver Courier

The Vancouver Courier                           Sunday, December 3, 2000

BUSY SIGNAL

        Call centres are the sweat shops of the information age,
        where frazzled employees are paid rock-bottom wages
        for high-stress work.

        by Kevin Kinghorn, staff writer

        The cherry of an Export A cigarette flares and crackles softly as
Terry Johnson takes one last haul before heading into the ground
floor of a Cambie Street office building. It's a crisp and sunny autumn
afternoon, but Johnson will spend the next six hours on the telephone
in a tiny cubicle in a bunker-like room, far from the sun's rays. Packed
with 30 other operators in an office the size of most living rooms,
Johnson will call up to 1,000 strangers, most of whom openly disdain
him.

        "Any time I'm not talking to somebody is wasted time to the
company," said Johnson, who's in his late 30s and looks like a high-
school math teacher with his tinted glasses and shock of grey-brown
hair coiffed a la mad professor. "I'm expected to be dialing or
interviewing the whole time. I've talked till I've lost my voice."

        Supervisors monitor his calls through a computer terminal linked to
his phone. If the number of people he convinces to participate in his
survey drops below a predetermined average per hour, that
shortcoming will be pointed put to him by the on-duty manager. Low
production is grounds for dismissal. After five days of exhausting
phone work, Johnson will take home less money than most teenaged
busboys.

        Johnson is a call centre agent at a market research firm, a person
widely despised by almost everyone who's ever been phoned at
home and asked their opinion on a company's latest ad campaign or
governmental policy. His working conditions bear a striking
resemblance to industrial-era assembly lines. Like those early 20th
century factories, the sweatshops of the information age have inspired
a push to unionize.

        Call centres are a $15-billion industry in Canada and provide
approximately 30,000 jobs in Vancouver alone. The city's time zone
makes it ideal for this type of work. Survey and marketing companies
can employ shifts of workers throughout the day -an early shift for
prime eastern hours and later shifts for the West Coast. And because
of a large multicultural population, the supply of workers who can
communicate in several languages is almost endless.

        As many as 100 large call centres in Vancouver employ 100 to 500
agents each, while the number of small call centres approaches
1,000, according to the BCIT Call Centre of Excellence training
facility. While many employees are in technical support or customer
service positions that pay $15 to $22 per hour, the industry has an
ugly underbelly: outbound call centres like Johnson's that do
telemarketing or public opinion polls for large corporations or political
parties. These firms use phones linked to computer terminals to
pressure cheap labour into working beyond what critics see as
reasonable limits.

        Derek Thompson, a consultant at the unionized market research
company Campbell Goodell Traynor, calls it the "warm bodies on
seats" approach.

        "These guys don't care who sits in the chair as long as they can
make the calls," said Thompson. "They have no vested interest in
taking care of their employees. It's a huge problem in the industry
right now." Ironically, Thompson says companies that constantly turn
over burned-out staff spend more money on training and hiring than it
would cost to scale back production and pay workers a decent wage.

        Raymond Chretien is a 25-year-old Telus employee with a neatly
trimmed goatee and impeccably styled brown hair. With his exemplary
posture and polite, controlled tone, he looks every bit the model hotel
employee he was before landing a job in a Burnaby Telus call centre.

        He's also an organizer for the Vancouver-based Telecommuni-
cations Workers Union on an indeterminate leave of absence to
bolster union membership in call centres. Although 25 per cent of the
TWU's 10,000 B.C. members work for call centres, most are technical
support operators, not telemarketers.

        Chretien says telemarketing and survey companies are popping up
in Vancouver because of an abundance of cheap, desperate labour
thanks to a weak B.C. economy.

        "I can't give you specifics because new shops open overnight.
They're fly-by-nighters and are gone again in a month, but these
operations are definitely growing," said Chretien. "They always need
fresh blood. As fast as bodies are coming in the door, people are
leaving because they can't stand the pressure and constant
monitoring.

        "It's basically a race to see who can screw people the fastest -
it's
a race to the bottom, who can pay the least and who can treat people
the worst."

        Chretien freely admits unions won't make the job a "cakewalk," but
thinks they give operators security and an avenue of recourse when
problems develop. So far, however, organizing employees has been a
tough slog because of high turnover.

        Hired this summer, Terry Johnson is one of a handful of "long-time"
employees - most quit after the first paycheck because the stress is
too much to handle. "It's very difficult to call people in their homes,"
said Johnson. "People get very mad at you. And if something
upsetting happens, you can't get up and take a minute to walk around
and catch your breath - you're forced to take the next call. You're
made to feel like a machine."

        Of the eight people he was hired with, three lasted the month. He
estimates only 10 per cent of his co-workers stay longer than a year.
"It's funny because if you go into the lunch room there nobody will
talk," said Johnson. "You just get so burned out from talking on the
phone so much that you don't want to speak anymore." Johnson tells
of a co-worker who goes drinking with his friends to relieve the stress
built up by a day in the phone room, but can't do anything but sit and
listen because he's so tired of talking.

        The problem isn't just psychological. Johnson estimates, at least
one-third of the workers in his call centre have lost their voices from
overwork. He calls it "call centre throat."

        Johnson, who took the job when his fledgling writing career failed
cover the bills, is helping organize the union at his office because he
says the ownership is abusing a class of workers that can least afford
it. "A lot of my co-workers are in their 30s and 40s and have families.
They're usually immigrants or they've just lost another job and it's the
only thing they could find right sway. One guy was laid off from ICBC
and now works here to support a wife and three children."

        The structure of outbound call centres is geared to maximum
efficiency. Large computers called predictive dialers are increasingly
being used to do the dialing for an entire call centre. Faster and more
efficient than human fingers, they're able to screen out voice mail and
fax machines, and dial multiple numbers at once.

        Automated dialers typically phone 10 numbers for every three
available operators, because on average, only three out of every 10
calls will be answered. When the dialer detects a live human voice on
the line, the call is immediately passed to a waiting operator in front of
a computer screen. Without hearing "hello," the agents launch into
their spiels.

        The instant the operator wraps up the call, a new "live" line is
passed
through to his or her headset. Chretien says most phone room
workers will field calls this way for up to four hours at a time before
being allowed a half-hour break, the minimum required by law.

        Computers also allow supervisors to tightly monitor entire banks of
operators to ensure operators' call volumes remain high. If
respondents trail off or give long-winded answers, the agent is
expected to bring them back on topic. Supervisors also monitor "wrap
times" - the time it takes the operator to submit the survey or enter
data once the call is completed.

        In more strict centres like Johnson's, supervisors patrol the phone
room, walking up and down the aisles watching for infractions like
talking to co-workers or reading while phoning.

        Each employee's statistics can be called up and analyzed at any
moment. On the basis of these stats, the supervisors set performance
objectives for the group. It's an atmosphere described by one call
centre worker who wished to remain anonymous for fear of losing her
job as "Orwellian." "I feels like I'm being punished for something I
didn't do," she said.

        "I'm constantly being watched and forced to take calls. I get sick
every time I go into work because I'm so stressed."

        Gillian Dean has been working in call centres for more than 10
years. 1-ler telephone voice is confident, with the soft British accent
and mellifluous tone of a nanny.

        Now employed by a unionized market research phone room that
pays well and provides medical coverage, Dean has worked in non-
union "sweat shops." She was paid a little over minimum wage and
offered incentives based on "flow rates" - the number of sales or
survey responses an operator can generate per hour. "They just
wanted me to dial as much as I could, all the time."

        Dean still makes up to 2,000 calls in an eight hour shift, and her
computer terminal still tracks the number of calls she makes, their
average length and how much time she spends away from her
terminal. But the information is used largely to keep track of break
time and calculate incentive payments. Use of monitoring to discipline
employees is the reason most telemarketing and survey companies
have such high turnover, she said.

        "At the end of the day, they would look at your stats, and if they
weren't high enough, they would say you're not good enough to do
the job," said Dean. "They might put you on less lucrative surveys that
dragged down your flow rate, [or] they could fire you just like that."

        Not all operators think the job is a bad one. Anita Parvez, like
Johnson, is a middle-aged employee who's worked at the same public
opinion polling company for a few years. She insists she could get a
job doing anything she wants but she enjoys the call centre
atmosphere, and it pays better than a fast food restaurant.

        "I enjoy it because I'm a talker," said Parvez. "People always say I

talk too much but I guess I'm just like that."

        Parvez finds the work stimulating and doesn't mind being
monitored. "I think [the monitoring] is good. It weeds out all the people
who can't handle it. I guess I just naturally have a thick skin so it
doesn't bother me."

        Charles Miron is another operator who spent 12 years as a ship's
cook and part-time musician before finding work conducting public
opinion polls two and a half years ago. Though he made the minimum
rate of $8 an hour for a year before he qualified for a bonus of about
$1 per hour, he said the pay is a reality of the 90s.

        "It's something different every day," said Miron. "Sure there are
$15
and $20-an-hour jobs out there, but are you guaranteed to get the
hours? I can work all the hours I want here. Some people work 11
days straight before taking a day off and then do 11 more."

        Marktrend Research Inc. refused to speak to the Courier about
hiring practices and working conditions at the company's market
research phone room. Messages left at Dylan Ryan Teleservices and
other telemarketing and market research firms were not returned.
Calls were transferred to lines that were never answered, phone
numbers were offered that were no longer in service, and voice-mail
messages were not returned.

        Moira Silcox, vice-president of Canadian Facts, was one of the few
who did respond. Silcox said while she can't speak for her com-
petitors, her company has made a concerted effort to improve working
conditions. "I would say that five years ago we lagged behind and
were maybe guilty of obsolete business practices, but we've im-
proved," said Silcox. "We have pizza days and things like that. We try
to make it a fun and friendly environment."

        Canadian Facts pays more than minimum wage - although Silcox
wouldn't specify - and offers standard performance incentives and a
medical plan for employees.

        Silcox admits, however, the nature of call centre work makes for
high turnover rates. "We don't hire people thinking that they'll be
telephone interviewers for the next 40 years or anything. We'll always
have people doing it as a bridge between jobs, but we have put
people through college. There are a lot of actors and people in
transition working here, which is ideal for them because the hours are
very flexible."

        One reason the exact number of outbound call centre employees in
Vancouver is difficult to track is because the industry expands or
shrinks according to the work available. Phone rooms survive on
contracts, bidding on jobs conducting surveys for ICBC or selling
health magazine subscriptions to baby boomers in Seattle. Some
operations rent office space for only a few months at a time.

        In those conditions, high employee turnover is an advantage -
some firms even use temps. Several have ads perpetually listed in the
back of newspapers. In the span of a few hours, the Courier made
appointments for job interviews at three call centres.

        Thomas Lemieux, a UBC economics professor, said lobs in the
burgeoning outbound call centre industry are unlikely to disappear
even if conditions and pay standards are raised. "Whenever there's
talk of unionizing or raising wages in bad-paying jobs, businesses say
it's bad for them," said Lemieux, "but the evidence for this is not
overwhelming." He said research shows improving wages and
working conditions can help the industry by making it more stable and
viable.

        Chretien plans to soldier on in his unionizing drive, but says some
companies will always want to make fast money on the backs of
workers who can least afford it. "There are people out there who just
thrive on abusive relationships," said Chretien, "and there are call
centres out there that will force others to compete on that level. Not
that they have to do business that way, but because they choose to
do business that way.