Christoph Reuss wrote:

> A recent study of the 12 most-used science textbooks at US middle schools
> found that they are so full of errors that none of them are acceptable.
[snip]
> _______________________________Excerpts_______________________________
>
>                            Final Report
>                The David and Lucile Packard Foundation
>                          Grant #1998-4248
[snip]
> Many of the
> obvious errors could be easily corrected, but the subtle errors (including
> misuse of technical words or phrases, the promulgation of ideas not
> validated by scientists, and promotion of "politically correct" views) that
> would leave incorrect implications would be more difficult to root out.
>
> [...]

This last point seems to me a "biggy".  Isn't it at least
curious that progress in the scientific exactitude (etc.)
and "progress" in ideological political correctitude seem
both to be ~progressing~?

Is this yet another "dividend" we are receiving from
Galileo's abjuration?  Scientists can roll balls down
inclined planes (or smash sub-atomic particles) to their
heart's content, but matters of the heart, when they are
thematized at all, shall be overseen by The Church,
and if it is not the popish one, then it will be the
Postmodernist, neo-Capitalist, etc. ones.

It seems to me that one of the fundamental
problems of our educational system is that we
do not teach young persons about the basic structures
of interpersonal communication, starting with
the power relation between teacher and student *hic et nunc*
(i.e., in the very living moment of instruction).

Lawrence Kohlberg called this: "The hidden curriculum",
and it teachers lessons far more important than whether
God created Adam and Eve, or we all evolved from
adventitious chemical reactions via slime mold and
monkeys.  For, having accepted the communicative
structure of teacher-student as too obvious to
be noticed, the young persons graduate to taking
the communicative relation between boss and employee
as too obvious to be noticed.

    Other than chance encounters,
    We can only encounter in reality
    what we have previously encountered in fantasy.
                                (Gordon Hirshhorn)

One of the strongest defenses of the present
social system of capitalism is the individual's
fantasy of getting a promotion, or at least keeping
his or her job, which builds on his or her earlier fantasy of
getting an A or at least passing and being promoted to
the next higher grade.

+\brad mccormick

--
  Let your light so shine before men,
              that they may see your good works.... (Matt 5:16)

  Prove all things; hold fast that which is good. (1 Thes 5:21)

<![%THINK;[SGML+APL]]> Brad McCormick, Ed.D. / [EMAIL PROTECTED]
  914.238.0788 / 27 Poillon Rd, Chappaqua NY 10514-3403 USA
  Visit my website ==> http://www.users.cloud9.net/~bradmcc/