Ray Evans Harrell wrote:

> Keith the last two posts I've sent to Futurework have gotten through only to
> the people on the list that I CCed.    So this may be only between the two
> of us.
>
> Questions:
> 1. Who's going to sing all of that choral music if you don't have cities?
[snip]

Why don't we start consistently supporting human dignity which
can only exist in a peer environment, and give up all forms of
art with leaders and followers (and impersonal
audiences) as outgrown forms of life, even
if they have their nostalgic appeal to some of us.

That leaders and followers are necessary anywhere in human life is
tragic, but for this kind of social relations which
probably first arose in the early theocratic "civilizations"
to perpetuate itself in the heart of the supposedly free expressions of
the human spirit (AKA "art") is entirely unnecessary
as well as existentially self-contradictory.  The "hidden
curriculum" of Beethoven's 9th is: obey the conductor
or else!, however "humanistic" may be the words thus
generated by the chorus.

One of the texts I regret not having saved was an article
in The New Yorker 20 or 30 years ago about the awful
working conditions of symphony orchestra members, including
even bringing in the cardboard boxes major appliances
come in to try to use as a baffle if you were unlucky
enough to be in front of the percussion or horn sections.
It sounded a bit like conditions on "The Western Front".

Chamber music si! Chorusal music no!

+\brad mccormick

--
  Let your light so shine before men,
              that they may see your good works.... (Matt 5:16)

  Prove all things; hold fast that which is good. (1 Thes 5:21)

<![%THINK;[SGML+APL]]> Brad McCormick, Ed.D. / [EMAIL PROTECTED]
  Visit my website ==> http://www.users.cloud9.net/~bradmcc/