Hi Charles and Gail,

Before I make a few comments on your (Charles' ) posting, let me insert
Gail's original comments on this when referring to Arthur's notice about
the Conference "The World, The Workplace and We, the Workers".

(GS)
<<<<
Thanks for this notice. There is, however, so much confusion in this
conference between work and employment, and workplaces and
employmentplaces, that I wouldn't think it could be very useful.
Notice how they use "work" and "employment" as though they were synonymous
and use "workplaces" to describe what are really just employment places.
Their "e-work" is really just "e-employment" -- paid jobs in the monetized
labour market?
Rather than "The World, The Workplace and We, the Workers" the conference
might better be entitled "The Global Economy, The Employment place, and We,
the Employees."
Members of the futurework list could never make such elementary mistakes
could we?

To my astonishment, I've just realised that sometime recently I've been
working for myself  for about 20 years, which is about as long as I was
employed previously. Despite the fact that in the former period I was
highly paid in secure employment (but bored!), and that the latter period
as a freelancer included some pretty traumatic episodes financially, I
would never go back to be employed. (Not that anybody would want to employ
me now!) However, even though the two parts of my adult life have been as
distinct as ever they could be, and even though I work far harder now than
when I was employed, I'm afraid, Gail, even as a FW subscriber, I still
make the 'elementary mistake' of confusing work with employment.

For most people, work and employment *are* synonymous and, I suggest,
always will be.  In a recent survey reported on BBC Radio 4 a couple of
months ago, 83% of those sampled said they were reasonably happy with their
places of employment. For most people, the prospect of not being employed
is frightening. To some extent this may be because most haven't got the
skills (or think they haven't, anyway) to be self-employed, but there's
also the social factor of wanting to be part of a team -- having a
recognised status in the eyes of others. I think this is quite a strong
instinct within us and has much to do with our (and our primate
predecessors') evolutionary background as a social species which has lived
in groups for millions of years.

In contrast, quite a few of those on FW List are in the minority --
self-initiating people with strongly independent views who don't
necessarily seek the daily approval of others around us. I don't think we
should introject too much of our own values into the minds of most people
we are concerned about when we think about the future of work.

I'm not terribly interested in the future of 'work' as a concept. It may
very well be very different in all sorts of ways, philosophically and
practically, from what work is now, but I'm very much more concerned about
what is the future of some of the badly-behaved children I sometimes see
coming out of school, or of the young person (no doubt a young male) who
smashed the window of my better-half's car last week in order to steal the
radio (no doubt in order to buy a fix) and in doing so caused at least 20
times further economic cost. What is their future? What is his future?

What an increasing minority of these young people really want -- but are
increasingly unable to get -- is a secure place in society and that means,
these days, employment. This is what I worry about. And this is the reason
why economics has become such an interesting subject to me in my dotage.

Now to Charles: