It is contradictory to reward educators and principals when and if their
student test scores improve simply because they improve.   Improve at taking
tests or improve at knowledge and understanding?  There are too many
contingencies out of control of teaching staff, that the family contributes,
for which the school is being held responsible.   Teaching by commission
sounds repulsive.  Some sales take longer and don't' fit into neat
categories.  Education does not benefit by being squeezed into business
models of competition and success.
There are too many outside forces that drive some children to succeed and
others to fail - by choice or not - that we shouldn't blame on
professionals.
I had some very excellent teachers during the 7 years I attended an
international K-12 academy in Kobe, Japan, more than a few of them college
professionals on sabbaticals or escaping a teaching/political climate in the
late 60s they found intolerable.  One of them, Dr. Kresel, was a triple Ph.d
whom I had for 3 years straight in high school.  He nearly drove me mad with
his obsessions for minutiae, but I learned from my mistakes with him as much
as anything else.  He would not receive bonuses under these standards today
because I did not excel in his classes and did not score well on tests.  I
did not live up to his vaulted expectations of me, but I benefited immensely
from his credentials in music, theology, English, even his arrogance and
determination to give us more than we deserved, handicapped by attention
spans shorter than college students.
Wish I could say the same for Dr. Samuels, whose algebra class was almost
impossible for me with his thick Indian accent and his notorious habit of
teaching over most of our heads to the top 5 students in class.  Again, this
excellently trained and capable man would not succeed in this proposed
business model of teaching, in spite of the fact that the students he did
reach went on to excel in college.
Isn't it interesting that the Japanese schools are moving away from rote
education because they saw a generation of children limited in their ability
to think independently and creatively, and this showed up in the
marketplace?  And now in the US we are moving towards more rote education in
the lower grades?
If necessary, a new model needs to be creatively constructed to help all of
us understand the work and goals of educators in schools.  We obviously need
better definitions not just goals.  We have a mental disconnect, a
transitional bridge to cross. The older models and images don't fit the
reality of today's classrooms and regulatory guidelines, the new technology
and the skills the marketplace and academics required.
Karen Watters Cole