Keith, re: fallout in Europe, I ran across this article in Newsweek
International regarding ill winds blowing over Europe. Is there any good
news?
Mon dieu! There's that schadenfreude word again. - Karen

The Next to Fall? Europe.

European companies face a massive credit crunch and banking crisis, bringing
with it the prospect of a Japanese-style deflation

By Richard Medley[NL]NEWSWEEK INTERNATIONAL

Aug. 5 issue - In the late 1990s, no European moneyman could meet with U.S.
Treasury Secretary Larry Summers, among others, without enduring a lecture
on the virtues of American capitalism as compared with their own pathetic
markets. And their only defense, in the face of Nasdaq, was to mutter
darkly, "Wait till the bubble bursts, then we'll see..."

FAST FORWARD TO 2002. Europe's dream of revenge has become its nightmare.
The U.S. bubble has indeed burst. Stock markets are down half or more. CEOs
are led away in handcuffs. Voters doubt the virtues of unbridled capitalism.
Everything a schadenfreude-loving European could want has happened.
Except, Gott-in-Himmel , that European markets are getting trashed even more
soundly than American markets. Worse, it's not just equities. European
companies face a massive credit crunch, bringing lending to a screeching
halt, throwing banks and insurance companies into crisis and, ultimately,
saddling Europe with the prospect of a Japanese-style deflation.
What a spectacle! Just weeks ago the European Central Bank was talking about
a rate hike. Suddenly, a cut's more likely. The rebounding euro now looks
set to reverse. And from big insurance companies, which had been lending
like crazy, come weak assurances that, never fear, they'll survive.
Probably, anyway. Could it be that after funding the long-running U.S.
bubble by sending trillions across the Atlantic, and after patiently waiting
for the overly aggressive Americans to run themselves on the rocks, the
Europeans will be the ultimate losers in the Meltdown of '02?
The answer is yes. And that's because markets are not punishing risk and
restructuring and flexibility. They are punishing the sins they punished in
the Asian financial crisis of 1997 and in the long-running Japanese economic
disaster-too much debt, opacity and crony capitalism.
Start with debt. When the bear market started 18 months ago, European
smugsters said the United States was in deeper trouble because of the
extensive "equity culture" in America compared with the "debt culture" in
Europe. And it's true, so far as it goes. Because more Americans own shares
than do Europeans, they've been harder hit. But there's an ugly flip side to
this euro. Thanks to that same "equity culture," coupled with America's love
affair with venture capital during the '90s, U.S. corporations are saddled
with a lot less debt than European companies. So while the market's fall has
cut their valuations, they're not struggling to repay massive loans in their
efforts to stay alive. Unlike Europe.
The damage is compounded by the fact that what few equities did get issued
in Europe tended to be held not by the public, but by the very banks and
insurance companies that also hold the now beleaguered corporate debt.
Companies won't borrow more when they can't repay what they owe, and banks
won't lend when terrified that what they already lent won't be paid back.
The result: a serious credit crunch. For a not-so-pleasant look at what this
one-two punch does to economic systems, take a look at Japan. It suffers
exactly the same combination, with a banking system and economy so weighed
down with corporate debt it cannot get off the mat.
The second deadly bear-market sin is opacity. When investors are making
money, it doesn't matter what they know about companies. Who cares? They're
making money. But when investors start to lose money, what they know (and
what they fear they don't know) becomes crucial. As we often said during the
Asian crisis in the late 1990s, opaque reporting and accounting standards
put the paranoids in charge. If you can't trust the numbers you see, then
whatever number the most paranoid analyst comes up with is as good as the
most reasonable number a company puts out there to calm investors down. The
result is a cascading crisis of lowered expectations that cause markets to
seize up and that punish even good companies.
The same thing is happening now in Europe. Asked if European assets were
starting to look attractive, one Italian fund manager last week replied, "I
would love to buy European stocks, but I cannot tell what they are worth.
With U.S. stocks, if you read the footnotes, you can get a decent idea of
what is going on at a company. But what is Allianz worth? I have no idea."
And that brings us to our third sin: crony capitalism. Business leaders work
with people they know and trust. They don't look as closely or critically at
people's plans when working together has paid off in the past. Trouble is,
what look like normal business practices on the way up look like
irresponsible and greedy glad-handing on the way down. Japanese and many
other Asian corporate cultures strongly reward personal relations, massively
entangled corporate supply chains, debt obligations and cross-shareholding
stock arrangements. Similarly, European corporate culture, with its heavy
dose of very large, privately held companies and tight linkages between
banks and borrowers, breeds an atmosphere of trust and informal reliance on
personal assurance. Again, all this works fine on the way up. But in hard
times? Think Enron. It's coming to Europe, only more so.
http://www.msnbc.com/news/786651.asp

Subject: Consequences of Sarbanes
Now that the Sarbanes Act has been passed by both Houses of Congress and
signed by Bush it might have some interesting consequences before too long.

Among other things, it may mean that the UK directors of large businesses
with subsidiaries in the US may be hauled across the Atlantic to face
criminal charges. Hands are being raised in horror over here by the
accounting profession (self-regulating and entirely honourable, of course!)
and some senior directors because we, over here, could never be as naughty
as the Americans.

Nonsense, of course, and there have been two recent high-profile cases to
show this. In the Sotheby-Christie's commission-conspiracy affair, the
American director of one of the companies has now been given a prison
sentence. The English Director (a Sir Somebody) is too frightened to go to
America because he'll be arrested.

Then again, Lord Wakeham, a past member of Enron's auditing committee (and
an accountant by profession) has already faced Congressional Committees
over his responsibilities in Enron's collapse. He may well face prison or
at least a hefty fine in the coming months. (Lord Wakeham, a past member of
Thatcher's Cabinet, is such a high profile person in the English
establishment -- President of the Press Commisssion among other many other
things -- that he couldn't simply refuse to go to America to face charges
like the dishonourable Sir Somebody above.)

Me? I'm all in favour. Not that I want to advance America's hegemony even
further, but we badly need international rules of business and accounting
practice.

(And, I might add, since governments began printing money arbitrarily with
no basis on gold or other redeemable value, then the quicker we move onto
an international currency the better. It doesn't really matter whether it's
the US dollar or the Chinese Renminbi so long as it can rid us of violent
exchange rate fluctuations which are not only a source of profit for
speculators but also remove the objective checks and balances that a
country needs in order to keep its accounts in order.)

Keith Hudson

Keith Hudson,6 Upper Camden Place, Bath BA1 5HX, England
Tel:01225 312622/444881; Fax:01225 447727; E-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]