It is pretty obvious when making direct comparisons of the writings this
weekend between former Sec. of State James Baker III. Esq., and NY Times
columnist Thomas Friedman (BA in Middle Eastern Studies & MA in Philosophy
and Pulitzer Prize 3 times) that:
1. It shows in depth of knowledge and writing when one has actually traveled
recently in countries one is writing about and talked with more than
government officials;
2. You will understand according to your training, some of this by
individual skills and weaknesses but most of it by the education you
receive.

Mr. Baker is a highly skilled lawyer, trained and accustomed to
dissemination of facts that he wants a jury to see and to ignore or reduce
the facts that he doesn't want them to see. The "Big Picture" and analysis
are not his strengths by training, but using logic in a manipulative fashion
is.

Our dependency on foreign oil is as bad an affliction as a junkie's on dope.
When my daughter was involved with drugs and I struggled to reach her, to
convince her of the danger to herself, I finally convinced her that she was
hanging around with kids she would never be interested in or friends with
sober. They kept a secret together and this bonded them: a dangerous and
life-threatening secret, nothing else to like about each other. Thus, as
elementary as it is to this group it must be said repeatedly and in myriad
ways to various audiences that until we move to more renewable sources of
energy, invest in transportation and infrastructure that do not require the
vast reservoirs of fossil fuel we use today, we will indeed be entangled in
foreign policy with people who give us more trouble than they are worth, in
that context.

While on my energy soapbox, I'd like to point out that Time magazine also
had an opinion piece by Lance Morrow (regular writer) about high speed rail
and it's obvious advantages over the airline industry: cheaper to run,
safer, quieter, more comfortable to ride, even with huge start-up costs
after all these years of lagging behind Europe and Japan, plus the local
network options. Indeed, now with the increased security measures that
require longer periods of time at the airport, short trips are wasted on an
airplane. The cost of a comfortable trip from Portland to Seattle is less
than $40 and takes about the same time as it does to drive, 3 hours, but
much shorter than driving to, parking at, waiting through, boarding and
flying, and then leaving PDX - SEATAC. Portland now has its own extension of
the commuter rail MAX to the airport which means you can ride into downtown
or almost anywhere else in town for $1.50 one way, a 20 minute ride from the
airport to downtown, about the same by taxi - unless you hit traffic on the
freeway.  Seattle is voting on their own version of intercity rail this
fall. I've posted previously about Las Vegas' recent rail boom.

MORROW: WHY RAIL TRAVEL IS THE FUTURE @
http://www.time.com/time/columnist/morrow/article/0,9565,338703,00.html
Excerpt: "The answer to the nation's transportation problems clearly lies
neither in an expansion of aviation nor in putting more cars on additional
highways. My choice would be the oldest mode of the three: rail. It is not a
sentimental or nostalgic choice. The aviation industry, like the vast
infrastructure for cars, is dangerously overbuilt. In recent years aviation
has sucked regional boosters into ill-conceived drives for more airports and
more flights, even short ones - all at immense expense.
Airplanes are indispensable for long trips over oceans, over a continent or
half a continent. But air travel makes no sense over short distances. In any
case, the evolution of cell phones and e-mail and the Internet and
videoconferencing means that people need to travel less on business, not
more. When ideas and images fly so magically, then our clumsy, inconvenient
bodies need not do so - or not so much.
...Trains are two to eight times as fuel efficient as planes. As things
stand, passenger trains receive only 4% as much in federal subsidies as the
$13 billion given annually to the airline industry. Highways receive $33
billion in federal funds. Both airlines and highways have dedicated sources
of federal funding: gasoline and ticket taxes. Rail systems should receive
equivalent sources of income."
It's time for a lot of changes.
Karen
Keith wrote:
In comparison with James Baker's nonsensical op-ed in today's NYT, Thomas
Freidman's rendering of the real problem that dominates Bush's foreign
policy is clear and intelligent.

Regarding Freidman's last paragraph (see below), I can't help feeling that
America will never give up on wanting Saudi Arabian oil -- simply because
there is so much of it (a quarter of the earth's resources) and its
production costs are so low compared with all other sources (about 1/15th
of the present market price). And there are staggering amounts of natural
gas yet to be tapped.

Bush has now raised the level of tension so high in the Middle East that I
can't help feeling that some immense upheavals are about to take place in
Saudi Arabia.  Either the Wahhabi clerics will bring out the masses into
the streets, or one of the moderniser-Princes will do so. Considering the
millions of young men without prospects of a decent income or even being
able to afford a dowry, and considering the hundreds of thousands of young
women who refuse to get married and have a family because of their likely
future subjection to male and religious oppression, I feel that the
population could easily swing to the modernisers -- just as they did in
Turkey in 1928 (when Kemal Ataturk secularised the law, abandoned the
Islamic constitution and has been a hero ever since).

The softly, softly approach to modernisation in countries which are so
deeply imbued with religious fundamentalism doesn't seem to work. The
clerics can easily sniff out any possible danger to their own power base.
The King of Aghanistan tried it and was exiled and the Shah of Persia
(Iran) tried it and had to flee the country. King Fahd tried it and, to all
intents and purposes, he's been exiled since May this year (is anybody
prepared to take a bet that he'll ever return?).

Maybe a modernist coup is what is actually being planned. Maybe this is why
Bush make the elliptical remark the other day that his policy on Iraq would
become clear "as time goes on."

<<<<
DROWNING FREEDOM IN OIL

By Thomas L. Freidman

On a recent tour of India, I was visiting with an Indian Muslim community
leader, Syed Shahabuddin, and the conversation drifted to the question of
why the Muslim world seems so angry with the West. "Whenever I am in
America," he said, "people ask me, `Why do they hate us?' They don't hate
you. If they hated you, would they send their kids to be educated by you?
Would they look up to you as a model? They hate that you are monopolizing
all the nonrenewable resources [oil]. And because you want to do that, you
need to keep in power all your collaborators. As a consequence, you support
feudal elements who are trying to stave off the march of democracy."

The more I've traveled in the Muslim world since 9/11, the more it has
struck me how true this statement is: Nothing has subverted Middle East
democracy more than the Arab world's and Iran's dependence on oil, and
nothing will restrict America's ability to tell the truth in the Middle
East and promote democracy there more than our continued dependence on oil.

Yet, since Sept. 11, the Bush-Cheney team has not lifted a finger to make
us, or the Arab-Islamic world, less dependent on oil. Too bad. Because
politics in countries dependent on oil becomes totally focused on who
controls the oil revenues - rather than on how to improve the skills and
education of both their men and women, how to build a rule of law and a
legitimate state in which people feel some ownership, and how to build an
honest economy that is open and attractive to investors.

In short, countries with oil can flourish under repression - as long as
they just drill a hole in the right place. Think of Saudi Arabia, Libya or
Iraq. Countries without oil can flourish only if they drill their own
people's minds and unlock their energies with the keys of freedom. Think of
Japan, Taiwan or India.

Do you think the unpopular mullahs in Iran would be able to hold power
today if they didn't have huge oil revenues to finance their merchant
cronies and security services? Do you think Saudi Arabia would be able to
keep most of its women unemployed and behind veils if it didn't have
petrodollars to replace their energies? Do you think it is an accident that
the most open and democratizing Arab countries - Lebanon, Jordan, Bahrain,
Morocco, Dubai and Qatar - are those with either no oil or dwindling oil
reserves? They've had to learn how to tap the talents of their people
rather than their sand dunes.

The Pentagon is now debating whether Saudi Arabia is our enemy. Yes and no.
There is a secularized, U.S.-educated, pro-American elite and middle class
in Saudi Arabia, who are not America's enemies. They are good people, and
you can't visit Saudi Arabia without meeting them. We should never forget
that.

But the Saudi ruling family stays in power not by a democratic vote from
these progressives. It stays in power through a bargain with the
conservative Wahhabi Muslim religious establishment. The Wahhabi clerics
bless the regime and give it legitimacy - in the absence of any democratic
elections. In return, the regime gives the Wahhabis oil money, which they
use to propagate a puritanical version of Islam that is hostile to the
West, to women, to modernity and to all non-Muslim faiths.

This bargain suits the Saudi rulers well. If they empowered the
secularized, pro-American Saudis, it would not be long before they demanded
things like transparency in budgeting, accountability and representation.
The Wahhabi religious establishment, by contrast, doesn't care how corrupt
the ruling family is in private - as long it keeps paying off the clerics
and gives them a free hand to impose Wahhabi dogma on Saudi society, media
and education, and to export it abroad.

So while there are many moderate Saudis who do not threaten us, there is no
moderate Saudi ruling bargain. The one that exists does threaten us by
giving huge oil resources to the Wahhabi conservatives, which they use to
build mosques and schools that preach against tolerance, pluralism and
modernity across the Muslim world - and in America. And it is our oil
addiction that keeps us from ever confronting the Saudis on this. Addicts
never tell the truth to their pushers.

Until we face up to that - and curb our consumption and encourage
alternative energies that will slowly bring the price of oil down and force
these countries to open up and adapt to modernity - we can invade Iraq once
a week and it's not going to unleash democracy in the Arab world.

Keith Hudson,6 Upper Camden Place, Bath BA1 5HX, England
Tel:01225 312622/444881; Fax:01225 447727; E-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]