Greetings from the Pacific Northwest, where the seasons they are a’-changing:

For those of you who are interested in yet another former government official speaking his mind about the possibility of war with Iraq, here’s former Pres. Jimmy Carter adding his two cents and also complaining about the deteriorating stature of American interests under the Bush-Cheney-Rumsfeld watch.  He also notes the lack of progress in the Israel-Palestine situation and the reversal of American presidential policy since 1967 by Bush.

While he doesn’t label the DOJ incarceration of enemy combatants as impeachable offenses, as some have, he “draws a bead” on that target quickly, as I’ve excerpted below.

It’s not out of character for him but a little surprising to me that a former Pres. has broken the silent barrier.  Perhaps as the head of the Carter Center he feels it imperative, but will this open the door for greater dissension or does it just add to the public debate?  Who’s next? Will it be Ford or Clinton? Bob Dole has already chimed in.  McCain endorsed Bush’s “good intentions” yesterday.

As has been noted elsewhere, the more we talk about going to war, the less strange it seems.  Do you agree with that?

- Karen

The Troubling New Face of America

By Jimmy Carter

excerpt: “Formerly admired almost universally as the preeminent champion of human rights, our country has become the foremost target of respected international organizations concerned about these basic principles of democratic life.  We have ignored or condoned abuses in nations that support our anti-terrorism effort, while detaining American citizens as "enemy combatants," incarcerating them secretly and indefinitely without their being charged with any crime or having the right to legal counsel.  This policy has been condemned by the federal courts, but the Justice Department seems adamant, and the issue is still in doubt.  Several hundred captured Taliban soldiers remain imprisoned at Guantanamo Bay under the same circumstances, with the defense secretary declaring that they would not be released even if they were someday tried and found to be innocent.  These actions are similar to those of abusive regimes that historically have been condemned by American presidents.”

We have thrown down counterproductive gauntlets to the rest of the world, disavowing U.S. commitments to laboriously negotiated international accords.

Peremptory rejections of nuclear arms agreements, the biological weapons convention, environmental protection, anti-torture proposals, and punishment of war criminals have sometimes been combined with economic threats against those who might disagree with us. These unilateral acts and assertions increasingly isolate the United States from the very nations needed to join in combating terrorism.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A38441-2002Sep4.html