Yes, we do have dormice and their larger 'cousins', moles: several
varieties, not many of them encouraged.  I have seen a grown German
Shepherd's chest torn open by the teeth of a vigilant prairie dog, and
watched my backyard become a collection of mounds overnight.  Can you
imagine the collateral damage a large golden retriever makes in the garden
chasing the scent of them from the new mounds every morning?  Nothing cute
about them, even if they do eat slugs.
Neighbors on the alert advised me to use chewing gum, carefully placed in a
new hole without human hands touching it.  Supposedly the varmints eat but
cannot digest it and die.  It didn't seem to work, but just as I was at
despair, he/she/them moved on to the next victim.
Karen
 (BMcC)
>[Do you have any hedgehogs on your property?]

Strangely enough, we *do* have a hedgehog. Or, rather, it was visiting here
a day or two ago. He/she was first noticed about six houses away a week or
two ago, munching slugs in their garden. Then he/she appeared in the
adjoining garden, and then the next . . .  He/she is doing a systematic job
of pest clearance along here. We're all leaving out saucers of milk by way
of reward. For such a roundish, apparently ungainly, creature he/she is
surprisingly agile and is obviously climbing the 6-10 ft high stone walls
between our properties. Long may his/her genes survive too.

Do you have moles in America? -- I don't mean spooks burrowing into your
CIA, but those small creatures with beautiful black fur.

Keith