And we could continue as conspiracy theorists explaining that Japanese were
interned because they were mostly on the West Coast, owned valuable farmland
and ate funny food, whereas the heavy German populations in the US were in
the Midwest, gave us beer and less of a "geographic" threat/exposure.  The
point is, did we learn that locking up all citizens of a suspect ethnicity
and confiscating their property is not just wrong but inefficient, over the
top and continues a legacy of heavy-handed, less than smart government?  Did
all those guys sitting on the Bush cabinet sleep through college history and
civics classes?  Oh, that's right, they're mostly CEOs, not lawyers who had
to learn that stuff.

When I was student teaching in Shawnee, OK we were covering the Stock Market
crash, Great Depression and WW2 in a combined class of 60 high school
juniors, doing a playacting reenactment exercise.   Fun stuff with 17 year
olds.  It was my task to lecture on the events leading up to Pearl Harbor.
I'd just finished reading Toland's volumes on the Rise/Fall of the Rising
Sun, and had answered questions like "if we sent in 16,000 troops, how many
men is that?  I included a bit from Toland about how the Japanese ambassador
had been used by his government in delivering the Japanese declaration of
war.  As I remember the story, he'd been cabled to send all staff home and
type the document himself.  Since he didn't speak English well and without a
translator, it took him several hours to accomplish the task on the English
typewriter.  By the time he delivered his government's formal declaration to
our Sec of State, Pearl Harbor had been attacked and he was greeted with
fury.  The ambassador went home and committed seppuku.  It had certainly
served Tokyo well to enact this delay.

My supervising teacher told the class after I'd left for the day that I had
lied about this and they were to forget all about it, as a couple of
students who knew me from church reported to me later.  I was appalled that
in 1974 a very talented teacher with 32 hours into a MA of European History
could still be so closed-minded, much less manipulative in the study of
history.  Remember, I was young then.  She also didn't approve when asked
how different WW2 was from the Vietnam War and its protestors raging across
their TV screens were, that I told them that it was a national effort, where
the country rallied in unison, but also a cultural war.  The AKC didn't
register dachshunds, sauerkraut was not sold in most groceries, they
suspended teaching German in high schools and some schools and orchestras
banned German composers.  These were my lessons from college texts, readings
and oral histories taken of seniors I interviewed going door to door.  These
kids were curious and deserved a discussion their textbook did not provide.

American high school textbooks have taught that the Japanese breached
diplomatic protocols and deceived the US government, but no context is
provided to develop the whole story.  Since so many people do not take
history beyond high school and early impressions remain large, it is easy
for old prejudices to recur even in otherwise smart and decent people.

Of course, the Japanese hadn't invaded our food market before then, and
banning sushi bars and ramen noodles today would be quite objectionable, to
say nothing of refusing Sony playstations and car imports.   But it does
remind me that we should be thinking clearly and thoughtfully, and speaking
carefully to young people and to others who have not remembered the lessons
of history, as we face what could become another war of cultures.

 Karen Watters Cole

Bill wrote: Harry, You know darn well that the reason they didn't put
German-Americans in internment camps was that they looked too much like
Wasps. [plus there were too many of them!].

Bill Ward