Hi Steve,

Good to read your voice,
----- Original Message -----
From: Steve Kurtz
To: Ray Evans Harrell
Cc: FUTUREWORK
Sent: Thursday, November 14, 2002 3:35 PM
Subject: Re: Missed educational goals

Hi Ray,

My answers:

(REH 1)
1. What do you think about the value of the UN?    Is it important?
Should the US withdraw into a stance advocated by the conservative areas of
the this country?

(SK)
Although diminished in power, The UN (Annan has courage) has probably helped
keep the US from wanton overt imperialism. They do it covertly to the extent
possible, and only sometimes overtly. I'd prefer a real global federalism for
stronger environmental as well as peace/conflict actions.
(REH 2)
Interesting also.   How much would you be willing to personally give up on such
issues as inheritance rights and taxes on the very rich nations to bring the poorer
nations up to parity?     I agree about Annan and the keeping "the US from wanton
overt Imperialism."     I think the US is and will be for the foreseeable future, the
sleeping Tiger of the world that people are foolish to overtly challenge as is
happening at the moment.    I don't think anything constructive can come out of
the current situation for the third world.   But I too believe that it is better to have
the UN than not.    I think there has to be a coherent answer to the naysayers
at the moment lest this Anti-UN group gain strength and I believe they will unless
they are intellectually engaged.   It is very popular these days for TV pundits to
call themselves Libertarian as this Congressman does.     They are very susceptible
to argument and believe that anyone who won't (argue) is stupid and not deserving
of "their" opinions or money(taxes).   That includes Liberals and other "welfare" folks.

REH 1
2.  Where do you stand on abortion?  (if this is too personal then ignore it
but I believe that it is a crucial issue since it has completely stalled the
non-right wing side of the political spectrum in America.   It is the Right
Wing's answer to their own immoral stance on Blacks and Civil Rights in the
sixties.    So if you are willing I would like to get a more international
"take" on this.)   If you believe that abortion is OK then what do you
believe it to be?
(SK)
It is the woman's choice in my opinion. It is her body and her 'work'.

(REH 2)
Are you saying that the fetus is property?

(REH 1)
Is it "Killing?"   on the one hand or "cleaning up an
accident or mistake that is not yet human" on the other?     Is there
another way of looking at this?    Or maybe some mixture of the first two?
(SK)
Personally I don't consider human life any more 'sacred' (as an atheist!)
than other life.

(REH 2)
This certainly seems to be one of the issues.    For example, Cancer cells are
alive as are viruses and other life forms that we consider disease.   The case
could be made for susceptibility to these things as some form of educational
process that the person is "working through" and that cutting it out or killing
the virus is avoiding why you got it in the first place.   But that is esoteric even
though there are those who make that argument.    Baby's are after all "natural"
while cancer is not, or is it?    I can remember when the psychoanalysts
posed illness in those terms.   I believe they called it Eros and Thanatos.
Eros being good and Thanatos being bad.    But to do an abortion is to kill
the effect of Eros or as in the case of over population Eros can become
Thanatos.

(SK)
Certainly a potential life is kept from reaching conscious
free agency; but there are no guarantees the life would be healthy,
pleasant, supported until self-sufficient, etc.  Thus, I cannot judge the
act a murder.

(REH 2)
Is that the issue that defines murder.    I'm sorry but I don't get the connection.
Knowing the Pediatricians in Congress, and the Libertarian Ron Paul that I quoted
earlier is one of them, they pretty well all stand against abortion and judge it this
way.

(SK)
I judge it as a relative act versus unknown alternatives;
and an unhappy mother & maybe or not active father in stressed
environment is not a great countervailing position. I prefer vigilant
contraception and the current 'morning after' pill. Early term is easy;
late term gets tougher to respect. But no absolutes in my view.
(REH 2)
The Inuits have to ask the headman's permission before they are allowed to
become pregnant.    Sometimes he assigned women to strangers in order to
keep the blood line strong.    Inuits have a very strong sense of themselves
as a part of the food chain.   But they are people of scarcity and need with
very clear limitations from their environment.   Romans, on the other hand,
come from a place of relative plenty.    The Jewish law, is basically desert
law and that is even more interesting, but I would rather a Jewish person talk
about that to the list than myself.

(REH 1)
Keith you and Steve have brought up Euthenasia in relation to adults, why
not seriously speak on abortion?     On the one hand (abortion) people talk
about potential while on the other hand (euthanasia)  they speak of killing
Einstein, is there another way of looking at it.

(SK)
Yeah, "potential" misery, disfunctional behavior, etc

(REH 2)
I know what you mean.   But the Einstein example is for a healthy mind and
the cultural treasure that people like Dame Eva Turner in her 90s represented.
Personally, since I could not do the work that I wanted and have a retirement
and other perks that one "needs" as they grow older, I have elected to do what
I could to create the Art that was in me.    It will leave me eventually either a
recognized success or a destitute old man.    That was my decision and
although I worry for my spouse and daughter I accept that everyone must
finish and when I am finished I will not dally but will leave.   Having experienced
the mental issues around lead pollution as a child and young man, I will
not hang around just for fun.    Life is not and has never been anything more
than temporarily "fun."    So as Breaker Morant said at the end.   "Shot well
lads, lets not make a mess of things."

(REH 1)
I talk about Gays for the same reason that my Father spoke of Jews and
Blacks.   He considered such prejudice intellectually indefensible and
worse, a waste of human resources.    People make the same argument for
fetuses and for the cognizant elderly.

SK
The elderly who are not in severe pain and aren't vegetables should
choose for themselves in my view. My wife wants out if she loses
physical self-sufficiency (she dislikes being h'cared for' constantly;
I don't object to the idea of a mental only existence versus none at all.

REH 2
I've said what I think.

SK
Now I reiterate my subjective, relativist ethical position on
aesthetics, ethics, metaphysics. There ain't no absolutes I'm
aware of except what folks say is in their minds. Infinite
reality is more tenable than any spacio-temporal boundary
arbitrarily posited by humans. Uncertainty is tough, eh?

REH 2
I'm comfortable with that and so would any other Traditional Cherokee.

However, the one issue for me has to do with what we call the "other
shoes" thing.   Until we can truly walk in the other person's shoes it is
difficult to understand the system that they are working out of.   Sometimes
that even means accepting its limitations and seeing what it brings.   If
there is to be any serious change then we are asking them to walk and
exist in our system or at least, as Harry says,  to tolerate it.   I'm not
sure that we can do that without being seriously involved in the inner
logic of their system.    What is sure is that they are as sure as you that
their system is true and that is where the rub comes in. IMHO.

Regards and thanks for your answer,

Ray