On Tue, 17 Dec 2002, William B Ward <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>On Tue, 17 Dec 2002 08:25:54 -0800 "Lawrence de Bivort"
><[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

It's both, actually. Coriolis forces cause north-south motions to
rotate, so moving north from the equator gives you a clockwise
spin (and ccw moving south), but the engine which drives the northward
motion in the first place is temperature, and the resulting
"conveyor belt" of cold water from the poles travelling to the
equator along the sea bottom while warm water flows to the poles
along the surface. All sorts of things can interfere with this,
as not only is the temperature of the water important, but the
salinity, as the mechanism is convective, ie it depends on the
density of the water. Cold salt water at the poles sinks, drawing
the warm surface water in from the south. If, for example, a
large quantity of fresh water were to suddenly be dumped into
the north atlantic, as happened toward the end of the last ice
age when glacial Lake Agassiz broke through to the St Lawrence,
the lower density could stop the cycle, and chill europe. (The
high temperatures of the terminal pleistocene, which ended the
last ice age, weren't deterred by this event, however, and the
retreat of the glaciers continued. This may be because the
conveyor was probably not running during the ice age anyway,
or at least not in the configuration it has now.)

                     -Pete Vincent
                     (still trying to catch up from the weekend...)