Hi Harry,

Well . . . an ideal opportunity has occurred straight away which will
surely determine whether my view or your view of Bush Junior is correct.

According to the Times this morning. Bush Senior has said in a speech to
Tufts University that hopes of peace in the Middle East would be ruined if
a war with Iraq was not backed by international unity. It is imperative
that Bush Junior should not jeopardise world peace by ignoring the UN.

Wow! Bush Senior has decided that his son has gone too far! This is an
ominous warning. Why he's had to deliver this message in public is, in my
view, because he's had to show Cheney, Rumsfeld, Wolfovitch, Perle and
others that if they persist with their present bellicosity then he will
become one of their most formidable enemies -- an ex-President anti-war
protestor! (I wonder whether Clinton, who's been loyally silent to Bush
Junior through all this, will now come out in support of Bush Senior.)

If my view of Bush Junior is correct, then the invasion is off. He'll
quickly knuckle down and do as Daddy says. This will have to happen early
this week because, quite soon, the French, Germans and Russians will be
tabling their own resolution in the UN asking for the invasion to be
delayed and Bush will have to take a view on that. Bush Junior would no
doubt describe his climbdown in statesman-like words but it will mean,
essentially, Saddam has won.*

If your view of Bush is correct, then he can do no other than to continue
as he has been doing, and continuing with the invasion even if there are
vetoes from France, Russia and China.

And here might be a test of something else that Karen and I are intrigued
about. If Bush Junior (and the group behind him) does as Bush Senior urges,
then he will feel deeply humiliated. He'll feel that the whole world is
laughing at him (which they will be). Will he hang onto his fundamentalist
lifeline and his highly disciplined way of life? Can he continue pretending
to be a President? Or will he revert to type and take to the bottle?

Keith Hudson

(*Although, paradoxically, if all possibility of invasion subsides, then
Saddam might be more vulnerable to a coup d'état than ever before! Those at
the top in Iraq might decide that because of Saddam's bad judgement (in
cutting out American oil corporations from developments contracts),
together with Bush Junior's stupidity, might have taken Iraq into a long
period of great suffering.)