Ray,

Back in the 70's, Iran was the threat even though they made a mess of things - executing their army top brass and killing and jailing their pilots. (What a shower, the lot of them are.) They also took US hostages and we had a disaster trying to rescue them. It didn't go the way it goes in the movies. Maybe Bruce Willis should have been brought in to run it.

Iraq was considered a stable country separating the Islamic countries. My God! They extended from Pakistan across the world - poking into the USSR - all the way to the environs of Saudi Arabia. Except that Saddam would keep things steady.

This "giving the green light" bit that keeps coming up is nonsense. We didn't like Iran, but sending Saddam's Soviet tanks there wasn't part of any deal. We didn't "allow" Saddam to invade Iran and Kuwait. It was his idea all the way.

But the US is condemned for not interfering, just as she is now condemned for interfering.

It's a tough world we live in.

But, not at dinner-time, when we will fill up on corned beef and cabbage. All I'm allowed to do is peel the potatoes (which is why our meals are so good). Perhaps it will be our last peace-time meal for a while.

Ray wrote:

Harry,

Journalist Robert Parry was vindicated by Oklahoma Republican Judge Walsh in the Iran/Contra Affair while he was lacerated by the major media which boycotted him. I have found him to be correct on almost every point from the CIA and Ollie North connection to the murder of hundreds of thousands of Mayan Indian People in Central America to putting drugs on the street in the Black Ghetto of LA. How's that for your own government using chemical warfare against a segment of the population?

When you look at only one side of a double deal, it always looks OK but the US was dealing from a revolving position of Democrats and Republicans supporting their own favorites. I don't know why the US government thinks that a good guy/bad guy routine is OK to play with other governments that don't change leaders as often and often get more professionalism from their Civil Service than we do with our mandated change. It puts our Baby President into such a double bind around competence that even a despot like Sadaam can make a fool out of them in the world courts. It does not help that Bush has shown that he is constitutionally incapable of building on anything the Clinton Administration, that defeated his Daddy, did whether in domestic or foreign policy. He came in with a loud mouth shooting down 8 years of careful work before he even examined it.

Bush has systematically threatened the environment, the poor, the elderly and the middle class and has publicly called into question US compliance with many International treaties (why should I as an Indian be surprised at that? because it used to be the Democrats who did such things but the racist militant Dixiecrats are now Republicans.).

Anyway, I think you are naive about the Iraq connection. I believe you are manifesting a typical attitude that causes the militant side of all governments to believe that it is OK for them to lie with impunity because everyone else is potentially a criminal. (Realpolitik) So pre-emption becomes OK whether in Watts, Bedford Styvesant, Wounded Knee, the New Jersey Turnpike or the Middle East. It is interesting that the conservative pundit William O'Riley had supported racial profiling until his Irish Catholic Tuchas was stopped by the Homeland Security. Reality is tough even for pundits.

Here is the Carter segment of Parry's article on consortiumnews.com. Just to show you that I can give equal disdain, I believe that Carter should have confessed this to the Nobel Committee and that would have given much more credence to his concern for world peace. As it is, it wasn't his finest hour.

At this point I would like to make one thing perfectly clear to the list. My position on this war is that the Bush administration will win it with no trouble whatsoever. Frankly, standing on the other side of an artillery barrage from 20 miles away coordinated by computer to begin simultaneously and continue on a rhythmic basis over a period of time is so unbelievably horrible that I can't imagine any but the fool not giving up. There is no luck in such a situation. I have no doubt that many of the ancient archeological treasures of the world will no longer exist and human history will have succumbed to the same mentality that destroyed the Buddist Statues in Afganistan. This is not a war. There is no escape from such a situation other than immediately giving up.

Guerilla Warfare is another matter completely. Unless you are willing to do what America did with my people, they cannot win a guerilla war. It is too random. Israel's only out in their guerilla war is to make peace and even then it is an iffy situation. The European Americans spoke about how they would end their war with my people:

The Whites, by law of conquest, by justice of civilization, are masters of the American continent, and the best safety of the frontier settlements will be secured by the total annihilation of the few remaining Indians. Why not annihilation? Their glory has fled, their spirit broken, their manhood effaced; better that they should die than live the miserable wretches that they are. History would forget these latter despicable beings, and speak, in latter ages of the glory of these grand Kings of the forest and plain that cooper loved to heroism.
We cannot honestly regret their extermination, but we can at least do justice to the manly characteristics possessed, according to their lights and education, by the early Redskins of America.

L. Frank Baum

I believe that, unless America is willing to exercise the annihilation doctrine they will ultimately lose in the Middle East simply because the Middle East is not Western in thought, tradition, language, culture or religion. We should not forget that what stopped the Americans at the border of Mexico was that they could not imagine annihilation of ten million Indians in the largest American Indian country in the world. We had the good sense to realize this in Vietnam and leave and today Vietnam still exists as a culture as reviewed in today's NYTimes Art section. Can you imagine what would have been the world opinion and historical result had we simply wiped them away in this era of information? The military can keep the press out for a time but eventually the archeologists will enter Iraq again and then we will be compared to the Turks who blew up the Parthenon or the Taliban and that comparison will be accurate. If we try to escape this without the annihilation doctrine and destruction of the countryside then we will lose like the large fish devoured by the school of smaller fishes.

As such I see no basis for warfare with Iraq, that has the ultimate possibility of any kind of success, that doesn't make monsters of us all.

REH

Carter's 'Green Light'?

This intersection of Saddam's wars and U.S. foreign policy dates back at least to 1980 when Iran's radical Islamic government held 52 Americans hostage in Tehran and the sheiks of the oil-rich Persian Gulf feared that Ruhollah Khomeini's radical breed of Islam might sweep them from power just as it had the Shah of Iran a year earlier.

The Iranian government began its expansionist drive by putting pressure on the secular government of Iraq, instigating border clashes and encouraging Iraq's Shiite and Kurdish populations to rise up. Iranian operatives sought to destabilize Saddam's government by assassinating Iraqi leaders. [For details, see "An Unnecessary War," Foreign Policy, January/February 2003.]

On Aug. 5, 1980, as tensions mounted on the Iran-Iraq border, Saudi rulers welcomed Saddam to Riyadh for the first state visit ever by an Iraqi president to Saudi Arabia. During meetings at the kingdom's ornate palaces, the Saudis feted Saddam whose formidable Soviet-supplied army was viewed as a bulwark against Iran.

Saudi leaders also say they urged Saddam to take the fight to Iran's fundamentalist regime, advice that they say included a "green light" for the invasion from President Carter.

Less than two months after Saddam's trip, with Carter still frustrated by his inability to win release of the 52 Americans imprisoned in Iran, Saddam invaded Iran on Sept. 22, 1980. The war would rage for eight years and kill an estimated one million people.

The claim of Carter's "green light" for the invasion was made by senior Arab leaders, including King Fahd of Saudi Arabia, to President Reagan's first secretary of state, Alexander Haig, when Haig traveled to the Middle East in April 1981, according to "top secret" talking points that Haig prepared for a post-trip briefing of Reagan.

Haig wrote that he was impressed with "bits of useful intelligence" that he had learned. "Both [Egypt's Anwar] Sadat and [Saudi then-Prince] Fahd [explained that] Iran is receiving military spares for U.S. equipment from Israel," Haig noted. "It was also interesting to confirm that President Carter gave the Iraqis a green light to launch the war against Iran through Fahd."

Haig's "talking points" were first disclosed at Consortiumnews.com in 1995 after I discovered the document amid records from a congressional investigation into the early history of the Reagan administration's contacts with Iran. At that time, Haig refused to answer questions about the "talking points" because they were still classified. Though not responding to direct questions about the "talking points," Carter has pooh-poohed other claims that he gave Saddam encouragement for the invasion.

But before the U.S. heads to war in 2003, both Carter and Haig might be asked to explain what they know about any direct or indirect contacts that would explain the Saudi statements about the alleged "green light." Saudi Arabia's longtime ambassador to the United States, Prince Bandar also might be asked to give a complete account of what the Saudi government knows and what its leaders told Saddam in 1980.

Robert Parry Consortiumnews.com