Ed Weick wrote:

> Thanks, Pete, ... but doesn't Gaia
> imply some form of direction and purposefulness?

When I first read Lovelock (long ago) it seemed to me he was
making a kind of *homeostasis* argument about the earth as a
whole - which is, of course, not particularly religious nor
even directional. (I take it "tightly coupled evolution"
means nothing more than that changes in one system or part
of a system affects the rest.) In other words, what Pete V
wrote seems right to me.

pete wrote:
> Not directional or purposeful, in the sense of consciously goal
> oriented, simply persistent and self-correcting, by negative
> feedback, as a closed loop system in the systems engineering sense.
> ... circumscribed like a yeast colony in sugar syrup whose
> population is self limiting because the alcohol it excretes
> pervades its environment and is toxic above a threshhold
> concentration...

An on-line Oceanography course I had at hand puts the matter
this way:

"The Gaia Hypothesis proposes that our planet functions as a
single organism that maintains conditions necessary for its
survival. Formulated by James Lovelock in the mid-1960s and
published in a book in 1979, this controversial idea has
spawned several interesting ideas and many new areas of
research. While this hypothesis is by no means
substantiated, it provides many useful lessons about the
interaction of physical, chemical, geological, and
biological processes on Earth."
Overview
http://www.oceansonline.com/gaia.htm

I also remembered a pre-Lovelock essay by Lewis Thomas in
which he speculated about the earth as an organism, and sure
enough I found the pertinent passage right away on the web:

"I have been trying to think of the earth as a kind of
organism, but it is no go. I cannot think of it this way.
It is too big, too complex, with too many working parts
lacking visible connections. The other night, driving
through a hilly, wooded part of southern New England, I
wondered about this. If not like an organism, what is it
like, what is it most like? Then, satisfactorily for that
moment, it came to me: it is most like a single cell."
- Lewis Thomas in The Lives of a Cell: Notes of a Biology
Watcher

BTW - There is a lovely *illustrated* version of the essay
on-line at:
"The World's Biggest Membrane"
http://www.owlnet.rice.edu/~phys203/lewisthomas/membrane.html

As for design -

> The concept as a whole seems to come pretty close to the intelligent design
> movement in current Christianity, the major difference being, I suppose,
> that man is the center in the ID movement, but may be unnecessary in Gaia.

- I can't see at all why "an intelligence" needs to be
invoked to explain how it could be that there are organisms
with feedback loops such that they don't get knocked around
everytime something in their environment jiggles, nor to
explain how the earth could be that a system with a number
of meta-stable equilibrium states.

Stephen Straker

<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Vancouver, B.C.
[Outgoing mail scanned by Norton AntiVirus]