Arthur:
It's interesting. Most of these arguments were and are used
against foreign ownership in Canada.  With little effect.
Canadians voted with their pocketbooks as do most of those
in the US who reap short term savings at the longer term
cost of loss of community, both literally and
figuratively.

     Karen:
     > other points to consider ... as the Institute
     for Self-Reliance and The Hometown
     > Advantage (Stacy Mitchell) document ...

     SS:
     This is excellent stuff. And yet, Arthur is
     completly right - people "vote" for these things
     whenever they're made available. The only cases of
     opposition I know of - such as the town of
     Greenfield, Massachusetts - occur *before* the
     fact when political leadership takes a stand, such
     as a  city council refusing a zoning or building
     permit.

     It occurs to me that in this as in so many things
     there is not a proper ACCOUNTING.  The reason
     WalMart has low prices is because you're paying
     for that propane barbecue everywhere else where
     its cost is disguised (as Stacy & co. say, in
     property taxes, etc.).

     I'd like to see some creative accounting put out
     that shows, say,
     - the real "price" of a propane barbecue at
     Wlamart
     - the real "price" of a litre/gallon of gasoline

     This would be, like, a progressive rebuttal to the
     right-wing think tanks - like BC's Fraser
     Institute - that have learned to garner publicity
     with dishonest crap like TAX FREEDOM DAY (when to
     much fanfare on the day they put out a
     news-release explaining that "until today
     everything you have earned has been taken by the
     government; only today do you get to keep your own
     earnings ..."  I always want to say - OK you
     buggers, have your tax freedom on 1 January and
     we'll follow you around and BILL you whenever you
     cost us money ... rise & shine! - flushing the
     toilet - 3¢, brushing your teeth - 1¢, use of
     sidewalk - 4¢, traffic light - 1¢ ... and so on.
     My goodness those guys make me mad.

     Has anyone done this proper kind of "social cost"
     accounting?

     THEN people would have a better idea of whether
     they're saving money or whether the convenience is
     worth it when they choose Home Depot.

     Stephen Straker