Harry,

> He tells me that there is a single rate on land and improvements, but
> agrees that there should be no levy on improvements - it should all be on land.

Yep. Sorry, you and your assessor friend are correct. I
spoke too quickly. In high-land value urban areas, like
where I live, the land-value exceeds the improvements value
by as much as 10-fold - enough so that very often a parcel
is bought and all buildings torn down even if only to build
new house. Of course, this is not true in low-land value
areas or where the "improvements" (home or business) are
*very* valuable.

In short, your original point stands. Thanks for correcting
& clarifying.

Stephen Straker

<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Vancouver, B.C.