Harry!

I admire your contrary spirit, especially when your
contrariness lines up with my suspicions.

I will see if I can get a check on your stats. What were
your sources?

Meanwhile, have a look at this review --->

"Bumper Mentality," The Washington Monthly (December 2002)
by Stephanie Mencimer
http://www.washingtonmonthly.com/features/2001/0212.mencimer.html

which cites the following stats (presumably from the book,
*High and Mighty* by Keith Bradsher):

"The occupant death rate in SUVs is 6 percent higher than it
is for cars - 8 percent higher in the largest SUVs.  The
main reason is that SUVs carry a high risk of rollover; 62
percent of SUV deaths in 2000 occurred in rollover
accidents...

"SUVs have also made the roads more dangerous for others...
For every one life saved by driving an SUV, five others will
be taken.  Government researchers have found that a behemoth
like the four-ton Chevy Tahoe kills 122 people for every 1
million models on the road; by comparison, the Honda Accord
only kills 21.

"... [H]ighway fatalities were actually in decline before
SUVs came into vogue, even though Americans were driving
farther.  This is true largely for one simple reason: the
seatbelt.  Seatbelt usage rose from 14 percent in 1984 to 73
percent in 2001...  [L]ast year, for the first time in a
decade, the number of highway deaths actually rose.

"As Bradsher details, because of their weight, shoddy
brakes, and off-road tires, SUVs handle poorly in bad
weather and have trouble stopping on slick roads.  What's
more, they're generally so poorly designed as not to be
capable of carrying much cargo, despite the space.  A
contributing factor in the Ford Explorer-Firestone tire
debacle was that drivers weren't told that their Explorers
shouldn't carry any more weight than a Ford Taurus.  The
extra weight routinely piled in these big cars stressed the
tires in a way that made them fall apart faster and
contributed to the spate of rollover deaths."

+++++++++++++++++++++++

A scan of the material I've got suggests to me that in
general, SUV drivers are worse drivers (relative to their
vehicles) than other drivers. Whether they are worse -
inattentive, ignorant, agressive not defensive driving -
*because* they are in an SUV with a false sense of security
or are just worse drivers (attracted to SUVs) may be
impossible to tease apart.

> Can't get to that New Republic article - not a subscriber - if you can send
> it. it would be appreciated.

I will send *you* a copy of the NR piece (as attached file).
I thought it was available to all. ...

Anybody else want it sent? (70KB)

>"Axle of Evil," The New Republic (20 January 2003)
>by Gregg Easterbrook
>http://www.thenewrepublic.com/docprint.mhtml?i=20030120&s=easterbrook012003
>a review of:
>*High and Mighty: SUVs - The World's Most Dangerous Vehicles
>and How They Got That Way*
>by Keith Bradsher (PublicAffairs)

best wishes,

Stephen Straker