Brian,

A very good article. Henry George back in 1878 asked the same
question in "Progress and Poverty".

'With the incredible increase in our power to produce, why is it
so hard to make a living.'

So, he analyzed it and came up with a reason and a solution. I
fear that modern economists are not capable of analyzing and are
inadequately suited to finding a solution.

In this case too, the "solution" is a kind of dreamy wishfulness.
I would suggest that the solution is not for the workers to own
their own work, but for each worker to own the fruits of his own
labor.

Trouble is that by the time the privileged have finished their
exactions, the people at the lowest level are reduced to
subsistence. Given the choice of removing the privileges, or
giving subsidies to them of some kind, of course we choose the
subsidies (which are never enough).

I'll still archive the article which contained many good points.

Henry George School of Social Science
of Los Angeles
Box 655  Tujunga  CA  91042
Tel: 818 352-4141  --  Fax: 818 353-2242
http://haledward.home.comcast.net