From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Ed Weick
Sent: Tuesday, November 18, 2003 1:23 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]; [EMAIL PROTECTED]; [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Toward a spiritual renaissance (was RE: [Futurework] Be a good little beaver for Uncle Sam!)

Hi Lawry,

Yes, it was me that was wondering if Canada has lost its way. I'm no longer wondering. If we haven't lost it yet, I'm pretty sure we are on our way to doing so. I fear that in the next few years we are going to become increasingly insular, with major attention being given to patching up federal/provincial differences, which widened significantly under the Chretien government during the past few years. Chretien's attitude on matters of federal support to the provinces was to put matters on a largely non-negotiable, take it or leave it basis. The result was growing discord and alienation between the federal and provincial governments. The incoming PM, Paul Martin, has given ever so many signals that he wants to turn this around and to bring about a much friendlier level of interaction with the provinces and cities.

All this seems well and good. On first appearances, it would seem nice to see the various parts of the country pull together. But it raises the question of who will do the pulling. In any country, the farther you get from the topmost level of government and the closer you get to the ground level, the more you have to give up higher morality and principles and the more you have to pay attention to gut-level bread and butter issues. At the topmost level you can think, like Trudeau did, about Canada being a bilingual country, about a Charter of Rights and Freedoms, and about the inherent rights of Aboriginal people. Or, like Pearson, you can think of Canada's role in the world and making Canada a leader in peacekeeping. However, the more you move toward the bottom, the more you have to give priority to British Columbia's concerns about softwood lumber exports, Alberta's concerns about oil and gas and beef exports, Ontario's concerns about remaining a vital part of the automotive industry, Toronto’s and Montreal’s ties with continental financial markets, and ever so many other bread and butter issues. And, our economy being what it is, the more you have to recognize a large correlation between Canadian regional and local interests and the need to remain friends with the US. Economically, we are very dependent on American goodwill. And as the US has demonstrated in softwood lumber and other cases, it can hurt us if it feels we are not playing ball to the extent that we should.

Having put himself forward as a listener, negotiator and joint problem solver, Martin’s role is not going to be an easy one. The provinces will be after him to take up their causes and solve their problems. And since ever so many of these problems are trade related, good relations with the US will be a prime requirement, no matter who heads up the Administration and no matter what that Administration does. For the next few years, I don't really see much hope of Canada taking much of an independent stand on major global issues. The Romeo Dallaires of this world can point to the horrors underway in the Congo, and suggest that we could stop that bloodbath and others by sending in a few thousand troops, but if it's not on, meaning if it's not an American priority like Afghanistan and Iraq, forget it.

Times are very difficult, and require a surer, more granular, and more disciplined treatment than is normally the case. Missteps at this time can create very bad results. I would hope that Canada's historical ability to see the moral light and policy essentials will again prevail, and that Canada may be able to help the US learn what it must, but by ignoring the US's mistakes, but by guiding the US to their resolution.

---