Keith,

Like you, I cannot see how the present system can be successfully defended, considering how many problems currencies have had in the past decades. Often a currency seems to be on a tight rope, in danger of falling off on one side or the other.

As you pointed out, the values of currencies, including the dollar, have eroded over many decades. We use them because they're there, so the system remains because we are lazy or ignorant. Meantime, we are being robbed by what is little more than an additional undisclosed tax.

The problem is always the same in any discussion of money. The two functions generally attributed to money are in conflict with each other. Gold or some other commodity can be an excellent yardstick for a currency to relate to. In other words, gold can be an excellent measure of value, but not a good medium of exchange.

Using bits of paper is a much more convenient and useful way to buy and sell. In fact Gresham always is present. If you had pieces of gold and pieces of paper in your pocket, you will keep the gold and get rid of the paper. However, those bits of paper aren't so good as a measure for the reason above. There values can easily change, either incidentally, or by deliberate political action.

Most of the purchasing nowadays is done with checks, credit card slips, and other pieces of paper. They are now the exchange medium of choice, so properly can be called money. However, economists wriggle out of this by calling them substitute money. Yet, they don't change their definitions, which specifically say money is a medium of exchange.

Economists tend to take disparate things, throw them in a bowl, give the mixture a good stir, then try (a trifle desperately) to make something of the result.

Yet, what can be done?

Henry George School of Social Science
of Los Angeles
Box 655  Tujunga  CA  91042
Tel: 818 352-4141  --  Fax: 818 353-2242
http://haledward.home.comcast.net