Bill,

Thanks for the posting. It will go into my archives. I had the figures once, but they seem to have disappeared.

My point is still valid, for it refers to the context of these statements, whose intention is to show that the structure is breaking down.

I suppose I could declare "Don't get married. More than half of all marriages end in death."

One statistic that isn't mentioned in those statistics (from a divorce WebPage!)is the marriages per year - about 2.4 million (1997).

Of the 125 million marriages - including widowed spouses, 1.2 million get divorced in a year. Of these more than half remarry within 5 years.

Seems as if the institution of marriage isn't doing too badly.

My personal opinion is that if one doesn't intend to have children, then marriage isn't a biggie. I think of it as an agreement between two people to stay together while the children are being launched into life. From thereon, if the couple have chosen well (or accidentally) it will continue to provide happiness and companionship over a long period.

But, all doesn't go smoothly. My favorite marriage joke (at which every married man will smile and understand) is about the old man who was being interviewed about his long marriage. "In all this time, Mr. Brown, have you never thought of divorce?"

"Divorce never. Murder, yes!"

The wives will smile too.

Thanks again for the post.

Henry George School of Social Science
of Los Angeles
Box 655  Tujunga  CA  91042
Tel: 818 352-4141  --  Fax: 818 353-2242
http://haledward.home.comcast.net