Title: Debt
Yes, Harry, Canada does look bad, but we have been achieving budgetary surpluses lately and trying to pay down the debt.

Ed
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Tuesday, November 25, 2003 1:31 PM
Subject: [Futurework] Debt

Hi!

From the Economist:

"However, embodied in current tax and expenditure policies are  a
lot of obligations for which governments have not yet had to make
explicit provision. This implicit liability  arises  mainly  from
future increases in spending on pensions and health care. Include
it, and total debt vaults to levels last seen (for explicit debt)
in wartime. Governments often fall into  bad  habits  when  their
debts are so high, usually by resorting to the printing press and
using inflation to cut the real value of their liabilities."

Here abstracted from a bar graph and therefore not absolutely precise are the numbers that may give us cause for concern. There are great uncertainties but governments tend to look 2-3 years ahead rather than 10 or 20. They incur "credit card debts"  passing laws now that must be paid for later.

Davis, the erstwhile California Governor, spent the last weeks of his administration signing into law costly legislation - even though we are broke, This included compulsory employee health services for smaller business - a disaster in the making. He can take credit for this now - while being long gone when the impact strikes.

Then there is the law of unintended consequences, something that comes up and bites the careless legislator. Long before Iraq, I was concerned at the way Bush was flinging money around - "A billion here, a billion there  .  .  .  "  There is something that gets into politicians that makes them extraordinarily generous with our money.

US diplomacy is pretty good, so long as greasing a few palms works better than argument. But, perhaps sooner rather than later there will be no money with which to be lavish!

The URL for the article ("In the long run we are all broke") is:

HYPERLINK http://tinyurl.com/whew http://tinyurl.com/whew

But if you are not a subscriber, you won't be able to get it. I'll be happy to send the whole article if FWs want it.

These are the explicit AND implicit net government debt 2002 as a % of GNP.

The lowest is the Brits - which surprised me.

UK                102
Denmark       175
Germany       200
France           230
US                270
Nether.         295
Belgium        305
Spain            350

And at the top (or bottom of the list):

Canada         423

I guess, friends, you'll just have to get rid of your Health Service.

(Only kidding ----- I think.)

Henry George School of Social Science
of Los Angeles
Box 655   Tujunga   CA   91042
Tel: 818 352-4141   --   Fax: 818 353-2242
HYPERLINK http://haledward.home.comcast.net http://haledward.home.comcast.net