Keith,

Very good analysis, but let me introduce another thought.

It seems to me that if the Middle East is left alone nothing much will change except, perhaps, present regimes may be replaced by revolutionary leadership.

However, even this is no more than conjecture. We simply don't know.

We do know that left to themselves the present sporadic terrorism could well be replaced by a serious network of terror financed by the deep pockets of the Arab leaders.

As it is, the Western armies in Iraq may influence the direction of Arab policies toward peace and trade -- the great peacemaker.

I rather think the Saudis have been given something to think about by our exit from the arena and the mounting terror attacks in their own country. The Syrians seem to be paralyzed by the army at their borders and always the threat of the US supported Israeli attack (though Israel doesn't need any support). Iran, as I mentioned in an earlier post, seem to be making a rapprochement with the US. At least, there is a kind of under-the-counter meeting of minds, which ain't all bad.

We should watch for clues to this.

The terrorists have the weakness (to offset the terrible strength of guerrilla tactics). It is their supply of money and weapons. Arab sources of these supplies must be frightened, or coerced, into cutting the means for terrorist attack. Maybe now the attack is on the own door step, the Saudis will begin to have second thoughts. It seems that much of the money to support terrorist attacks -- including in Israel -- had Saudi sources.

If Arafat doesn't stop financing Hamas, maybe we should cut off his funds. (Of course, he can bring back to Palestine the enormous funds he has squirreled away.)

Elsewhere, the six nations may yet sit at the table and discuss the Korean peninsular, If all this comes to pass, perhaps Bush will be regarded as the best diplomat in this and the previous centuries.

But, I just know you won't go along with that.

Henry George School of Social Science
of Los Angeles
Box 655  Tujunga  CA  91042
Tel: 818 352-4141  --  Fax: 818 353-2242
http://haledward.home.comcast.net