On Sun, Feb 04, 2007 at 04:34:23PM +0000, Thomas Adam wrote:
> On Sun, Feb 04, 2007 at 04:23:59PM +0100, Dominik Vogt wrote:
> > I have removed these two styles and replaced them with the much
> > more general style "PositionPlacement".
>
> Thanks, Dominik.  This will work great for applications that don't
> listen to USPPosition hints, and/or those that don't allow for
> --geometry placements.  Plus it means no more coupling with FvwmEvent to
> move windows either.  Brilliant.  :)

Slightly bad form to be replying to my own post, but nevermind.  :)  I
played around with PositionPlacement and had a few
suggestions/questions.

In libs/default.h, I sugegst:

#define DEFAULT_PLACEMENT_POS_CENTER_STRING "50-50w 50-50w"

is changed to:

#define DEFAULT_PLACEMENT_POS_CENTER_STRING "screen c 50-50w 50-50w"

So that at least those people with xinerama support don't get confused
as to why the window is never in the centre of a screen, at least.

This also raises a question in that, if PositionPlacement works like
Move, should it not also be able to interpret a string such as:

Style some_window PositionPlacement screen c 200 186

Or should it be that one should use:

Style some_window PositionPlacement 200 186, StartsOnScreen c

Currently, the former style doesn't seem to work, even though the call
to GetMoveArguments() in __pl_position_get_pos_simple() is consistent in
passing the string "screen c 200 186", for instance.

It might also be unrelated, but in using the PositionPlacement style,
~/.xsession-errors is riddled with errors of:

[FVWM][style_parse_and_set_window_style]: <<WARNING>> Unconsumed
argument in PositionPlacement center: center

This is for everytime the PositionPlacement style is used, regardless of
whether or not it works as intended.

Kindly,

-- Thomas Adam

--
"Wanting to feel; to know what is real.  Living is a lie." -- Purpoise
Song, by The Monkees.