in regard to this 4 year old post:

Relevant parts inlined

On December 14th, 2003 Mikhael Goikhman said:
I know that it should not cause problems on released tarball, I just said
I will probably wait for a clean patch for cvs myself. :)

It is still problematic to be applied to cvs, but less problematic,
and it should be easier for someone to fix this. I also removed all
unrelated files manually and here is the reduced version (it now seem
to include only 2 separate things, function grabs and translucency)

The pure translucency part of the patch does not seem to be very big, so
someone (not me) may update man pages and try to push it into mainline.
Does this still hold true? I would be interested in cleaning up the patch, if that is all that required.