Hello --

2009/1/22 Dominik Vogt <dominik.v...@gmx.de>:
> On Mon, Jan 19, 2009 at 06:47:28AM +0000, Thomas Adam wrote:
>> I've been toying around with this patch for a while now, which seems
>> to work.  Given that we have PositionPlacement which allows for
>> placingwindows at a specific location, StartMaximized will start a
>> window maximized, allowing for the usual arguments per the Maximize
>> command[1].
>> For instance:
>>
>> Style somewindow PositionPlacement 0 50, \
>>     StartMaximized growonlayers $[w.layer] -1 grow grow
>>
>> Or more simply:
>>
>> Style somewindow StartMaximized
>
> Does the new style take the same arguments as the maximize
> command, or does it have a different syntax?

No, it has the same syntax as the Maximize command -- but as noted as
more of a throwaway comment in my email, it does no error checking, so
you can do:

Maximize 100, 100, grow sdhjfdjkkjdfhkjhdfkjhkdfj

And it will still work.  :)  But that's by-the-by at this point.

>> Comments/suggestions welcome.
>
> I ponder if we shouldn't have a much more generic mechanism here.
> At the moment we have:
>
>  StartsOnDesk/Page/Screen
>  StartsLowered/Raised
>  StartsShaded
>  StartIconic/Normal
>
> All of these could be replaced by a hypothetic style
> "InitWindowCommand" (stupid name, suggestions welcome):

Yes.  When I came up with StartMaximized, I was *really* tempted to
add it in as some form of option to PositionPlacement, but it wasn't
logical to do so.  If we could amalgamate the above list (with perhaps
some others -- squashing in my idea for StartMaximized) then that
would be a nice idea, and one I would be happy to work on.

>  Style Foo MapFooFunc
>  AddToFunc MapFooFunc
>  + I MoveToPage 1 1
>  + I Iconify true
>
> This way, it would even be possible to get these stupid Open
> Office windows under control that shade themselves on startup.

I am not following you here.  What's the relationship between
MapFooFunc and InitWindowCommand?  Are you implying it's a hook for a
known function to be called when the window is mapped?  (If this is a
silly question to ask, it's because I've yet to have coffee.  :P)

> Of course the parsing would be difficult if the command contains
> commas.

Hmm, yes it would.  But we could ignore that for now and just opt for
a proof-of-concept.  :)

-- Thomas Adam