[Cc'ing fvwm-workers@ so I don't lose track of this]

On Wed, May 12, 2010 at 02:05:33PM -0700, Omar Zakaria wrote:
> Well, good news, then. I've finished the app. What's a good way to get it
> to you?

I am still unable to run this application via VisualWorks, but it doesn't
matter, as just trying to launch VisualWorks itself (which maps windows)
seems to exhibit the same problem.

I've spent a little over eight hours straight on this, so am rather tired.
It seems through my analysis that the bloody windows this thing maps sends
excessive ReparentNotify events -- depsite the fact that there is only ever
one such event acted on by FVWM.

I've told FVWM to discard_events() for ReparentNotify which didn't help --
it seems this thing *hates* its windows being reparented.

But beyond that, I can't see why this thing is failing in the way it is.
I've done some pretty in-depth analysis of the event-handling code in FVWM
-- the events it receives are all handled properly.  Out of interest, does
the following (albeit drastic -- it's only for testing) help with your
problem?

Style * Unmanaged

I am really hoping it will -- because then FVWM bails even bother trying to
reparent the window into its frame.

I am going to look into this some more.  It's really interesting.

-- Thomas Adam

--
"It was the cruelest game I've ever played and it's played inside my head."
-- "Hush The Warmth", Gorky's Zygotic Mynci.