On Thu, May 19, 2016 at 9:18 AM, Thomas Adam <tho...@fvwm.org> wrote:

> * FvwmTaskBar -- Use FvwmIconMan.

​I do agree that FvwmTaskBar should be deprecated and FvwmIconMan should be
used instead, but my experience is FvwmIconMan was not easy to create a
config that behaved like the simple FvwmTaskBar, and I still think many are
using this because it is so much easier to configure than FvwmIconMan for a
TaskBar (despite it is also buggy, I still see it used a lot).

I think removing this will cause some (or maybe more than some) discussion
on the main fvwm mailing list once people notice it is gone who have been
using it, including some not so happy fvwm users.

My suggestion is in order to remove FvwmTaskBar we should provide a config
that will provide something similar FvwmTaskBar using FvwmIconMan that
people can just take and slightly modify. This way when someone comes to
the list (or irc) and starts saying where did my FvwmTaskBar go, we can
just point them to a config and they can be on their way.

> I've also gone and removed these two directories:
>
> debian/
> rpm/
>
> AFAIAC, these shouldn't be part of a window manager, and it is
> unreasonable to
> expect maintainers of a window manager to understand package management to
> any
> degree.  All downstream do when they package FVWM is remove these
> directories
> and replace them with their own (newer) versions, since ours are just left
> bitrot.  If you want to build packages of your own, do so.  But it's
> peripheral to FVWM.

​I can't speak for the rpm/ directory, but I know that in debian the
directory is removed by the debian maintainer and replaced by his own that
fits the modern debian standards, passes all the package auditing tools,
etc.​

​I also think that if someone wanted to build their own custom .deb, the
debian/ is outdated enough that it shouldn't be used.

If someone really wanted to build their own .deb over using the one
provided by debian I would suggest pointing them at debian_helper. This can
autogenerate a simple debian/ dir that is probably better than the one
provided by fvwm and is fairly automatic. I could look into writing up a
little doc on how to do this.​ The other option is to just use the debian/
from the debian source package, but then you have to deal with debian
patches.

Those are my two cents,

jaimos