The moment you told me what to look for, I found it.  So, thank you again.

Someone thought that adding a "perl" use flag would be cool, for the
sake of customization. The fact is that, by giving users the power to
disable that, they also broke FvwmConsole. I have no idea how no one
noticed this before. I will be proposing to eliminate that flag, along
with all the ugly hacks they added to the ebuild just to save a couple
kb by removing a couple pm files here and there. Hopefully the Gentoo
ebuild for 2.6.7 will be simpler and less hack-ish.

--
Jesús Guerrero Botella