On Sun, Jan 01, 2017 at 02:10:03AM -0700, Jaimos Skriletz wrote:
> Here is an old (minor) bug that is lurking in the Debian BTS.

> The bug is that when assigning non ASCII keys as hot keys in a Menu,
> the underline underlines the non ASCII character and the one after it.

Hotkeys must be printable 7 bit Ascii characters, which is
probably not documented.  The reason for this is that the hotkey
is specified as a substring from the item label (e.g. "á") instead
of a key name ("aacute").  X has no real way to convert a string
into a key name or vice versa, so hotkeys work only for keys where
both representations are the same.

A solution for this would be to hard code a unicode-to-keysym
table inside fvwm and also requires iconv support.  :-/

> Here is a simple test
>
> DestroyMenu TestMenu
> AddToMenu TestMenu "Test" Title
> + "T&êst" Echo Test
> + "&ñice one" Echo Nice One
> + "Th&ááát" Echo Thaaat
> + "&This One" Echo This
>
> Then open the menu.

I can reproduce the drawing bug.  Maybe we should simply disable
hotkeys completely for anything not 7 bit ASCII.

> In addition to the visual bug, I was not able to correctly use these
> non-ASCII characters as hot keys. Since I don't have a keyboard that
> has accented keys on them it could be that I can't properly test if
> they work as hot keys (since I have to hit alt-key to type them).

To test it:

  $ xmodmap -pki > ~/xmm
  # edit some key binding in ~/xmm
  $ xmodmap ~/xmm

> Seems there was once a patch trying to make these hot keys work better
>
> http://www.mail-archive.com/fvwm-workers@fvwm.org/msg01916.html
>
> Unsure if the bug is just an extra character is underlined in the Menu
> or if using non ASCII characters for hot-keys doesn't work.

Ciao

Dominik ^_^  ^_^

--

Dominik Vogt