The way fvwm handles the _NET_WM_WINDOW_TYPE hint is very non-configurable currently. You can't even set other style options on the windows yourself.

There are several ways to improve this. In short term a style EWMHIgnoreWindowType would allow for users to set their own style on windows having a specific windowtype without being foced to also have the default options of that window type. While this is an easy-to-make solution, I think there is room for more improvment. It would be good with configurable styles on a window type level, also for the window types currently ignored by fvwm. A command "EWMHWindowTypeStyle" could be added, and when the Style command is changed according to the 3.0 todo "Type" could be made a option to match on.

I already got an implementation of the EWMHIgnoreWindowType which is ready for commit if agreed that such a style woud be useful (there might be other better solutions to the problem). I'd like to take a look at the implementation of an EWMHWindowTypeStyle command once I get a little more spare time.

/Viktor