On 14 Nov 2002 19:36:59 -0500, Peter McAlpine wrote:

> On Thu, Nov 14, 2002 at 05:50:56AM +0000, Mikhael Goikhman wrote:
> --snip--
> >   vp_width       (viewport size in pixels; is page_width a better name?)
> >   vp_height
> >   total_pages_x  (DesktopSize; is desktop_size_x a better name?)
> >   total_pages_y
> --snip--
> > Any comments before I do this.
>
> yes,
>
> aren't there lots of possible desktops... because I can set my
> viewport to look at anywhere I want within my desktop (ex-
> overlooking two pages).
>
> I don't think that it's very consistent with the other information
> being sent with M_NEW_PAGE. I could recieve:
> vp_width/height == probably screen resolution
> vp_x/y COULD == (123,321)... in which case:
> total_pages_x/y == nothing useful what-so-ever.

total_pages_x/y may be not useful for FvwmWindowLister, but useful for
FvwmPager.

> If you ask me:
> M_NEW_PAGE should contain ONLY vp_x/y
> M_CONFIG_INFO should contain vp_width/height, and either
> max_possible_x/y OR DesktopSize (which I think it already does).

Currently when DesktopSize command is issued _or_ a page is switched a
single M_NEW_PAGE is sent carrying all changes. I don't want to change
this, because it seems to be convenient for all modules, not just a pager.
Of course, a more static info (that is mostly not changed) may be moved to
M_CONFIG_INFO, but M_NEW_PAGE is sent rarely, so it is not very important.
This may be done later when all packets are redesigned, I don't like, for
example, that M_CONFIG_INFO unites module configuration lines and global
constants instead of having 2 different packets. I don't like M_NEW_DESK.

As I said, if you will use the PageInfo tracker, you will not need to know
whether it internally listens to M_NEW_PAGE, M_NEW_DESK or M_CONFIG_INFO.

> It seems a little like fvwm sits on the fence regarding whether
> consider pages as something that can overlap or not. I would say that
> a "viewport" could have any possible top-left x/y... and that "pages"
> are viewports that do not overlap each other.

I use this terminology, viewport is something more general than a page.

Regards,
Mikhael.