Mikhael Goikhman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote on Fri, 15 Nov 2002 09:45:20 +0000:

> This is not really correct. I don't use 8-spaces, I use one tab. Unlike
> our C code that requires TAB to be 8 spaces, our perl code is properly
> structured to allow any TAB size. Use 4 spaces for TAB if you like this,
> I use 3 or 8. Just please remember to write a properly structured code
> (no spaces for indentation, no tabs in the middle of line) not to break
> this TAB size freedom. I know, it is difficult with emacs...

OK, I think I understand what you mean. Use one tab for indentation, then
the programmer can choose to have their editor display tabs as
equivalent to whatever number of spaces they prefer. I agree this
is good and will switch to using this.

I think it ought to be straightforward with emacs once I figure it out.

> It only veryfies that $foo ends up to be a number (you compare this with
> numbers later, right?). But I forgot this is not a boolean (may be "2" as
> well). I will fix this.

Don't worry, that option has gone away, replaced by the choice of
%M or %m in ItemFormat.

> > I even added emacs mode settings for your indentation style :-)
>
> I don't think these are the right settings, they insert 4 spaces.
> In fact, I think the only way to configure emacs to do anything useful
> is to disable auto-indentation and insert real tabs on tab press.

I'm confused as to what is happening. I screwed up the mode
settings, but they should have made emacs display the tabs as
equivalent to 8 spaces not 4. The file I put up definitely has
single tabs for indentation. Could it have got corrupted somewhere?

Anyway, I've got some more changes to add after the weekend. I'll
send those as a patch against CVS and it will hopefully be right
this time.

Thanks for the help.
Ric

Richard J Lister