On Fri, Feb 28, 2003 at 02:42:59PM +0000, Mikhael Goikhman wrote:
> On 28 Feb 2003 14:32:17 +0100, Dominik Vogt wrote:

> > > Do you mean a user will want to leave the default Alt-Tab binding and
> > > set "MenuStyle WindowList SelectOnRelease" to something like Ctrl_R?
> >
> > It is more likely that a user wants to remove it with a MenuStyle.
>
> We don't have a way to inherit MenuStyle's, so this creates more problems
> than just redefining a binding.

Good point.

> > > I think this does not make a sence, it is easier just to redefine his
> > > Alt-Tab or Ctrl-Tab or Super-Shift-F2 binding for WindowList without
> > > a need to change MenuStyle.
> >
> > It may be easier if you already know how to do it.  But don't
> > forget that the default binding is hidden in some cryptic file the
> > average user knows nothing about.
>
> Both require reading the man page. For me learning about the default
> binding and removing SelectOnRelease option from it is easier than
> learning about MenuStyle WindowList SelectOnRelease and defining it.
>
> BTW, "MenuStyle SelectOnRelease" is (and always was) broken. The only way
> to remove this Meta_L is to define some other valid modifier like Ctrl_R
> or something like "+"; empty or no argument restores Meta_L.

I know; this certainly adds to the confusion.  Maybe the only way
to reduce the possibility of misunderstandings is to write a
better text in the man page.

> > > Also I am not convinced that having MenuStyle SelectOnRelease is a
> > > good idea. A modifier defined in SelectOnRelease is related to a
> > > specific key/mouse binding, not to the whole menu that one may want to
> > > invoke with or without auto-release on different bindings. But
> > > although I think that SelectOnRelease is a property of a binding, I
> > > don't suggest to remove MenuStyle SelectOnRelease if you think it is
> > > needed, only unbind WindowList from Alt that is currently hardcoded.
> >
> > It's a matter of usability.
>
> Actually, if we speak about the whole idea, I don't think it is very
> usable as it is now. It is not very easy to setup, because it requires
> knowing the modifier keysym. Additionally,

> only one modifier like Meta_L works, not any Alt (there are two).

Um, your keyboard has two Alt keys?  I have never seen such a
keyboard.

> And if a binding does not include the
> modifier configured in MenuStyle SelectOnRelease, this unrelated modifier
> still works like Enter, this is a bad side effect.
>
> I think that instead of SelectOnRelease it would be much better to
> have SelectOnFullRelease option (the exact name could be shorter).
> The default is !SelectOnFullRelease. So the following bindings work
> without auto-release:
>
>   Key Tab A CS WindowList
>   Key F1  A CS Menu FvwmMenuRoot
>
> and the following select an item when both Ctrl and Shift are released:
>
>   Key Tab A CS WindowList SelectOnFullRelease
>   Key F1  A CS Menu FvwmMenuRoot SelectOnFullRelease
>
> Here any left/right Ctrl and Shift would work, not just one Ctrl_L.
> I would like not to have any MenuStyle options related to auto-release,
> because it is pretty trivial to set/unset this per a binding,
> but MenuStyle is not an issue here.
>
> This requires passing all modifiers that the menu was called with to that
> menu, the auto-release is processed when all original modifiers are not
> pressed anymore. I hope it is not a big problem to pass the modifiers.
>
> I think it would be more convinient for a user.
> What do you think?

I don't know, I think this is overkill.  The typical user wants
one of two things:  either use the default as it is or turn off
SelectOnRelease.  The case that she releases Alt first and still
holds down the tab key is irrelevant in my eyes.  Wh do not have
to care so much about redifining the key to trigger selection.  A
clear description of how to remove the binding should be enough.

In any case, I can't easily think of a reliable method to check
whether all keys are released or not.  What about state toggling
keys like num-lock?