On 02 Mar 2003 22:55:25 +0100, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> On Fri, Feb 28, 2003 at 10:27:03PM +0100, Olivier Chapuis wrote:
> > On Fri, Feb 28, 2003 at 11:08:58AM +0100, Dominik Vogt wrote:
> > > I think we have too many messages in the NEWS for the unstable
> > > branch right now.  In the past, I made entries for
> > >
> > >   * New features and other important user visible changes
> > >
> > > but not for
> > >
> > >   * Bug fixes
> > >   * Minor user visible changes
> > >   * Changes in the documentation
> > >
> > > Especially, when a feature was introduced in the unstable branch
> > > and removed before the stable release, I remove any hints of that
> > > feature from the NEWS.  If it is renamed before a stable release,
> > > I replace its former name in the NEWS with the new name and do not
> > > add a "renamed foo to bar" message in the NEWS.
> > >
> > > What do you think about that?
> >
> > I prefer a too long NEWS file than a too short one. Numerous package
> > has an obsolete NEWS file This is very frustrating when you upgrade or
> > have to decide if you want to upgrade. The NEWS file is very useful.
> > Anyway, as our NEWS file is well maintained I think that some cuts can
> > be done if these cuts do not suppress information for the user (important
> > or not). Not that it seems that a lot of users use 2.5.x as its regular
> > window manager.
>
> But I *definitely* do not want the clutter up the NEWS with things
> like
>
>   2.5.x: New experimental module foo
>   2.5.x+1: Renamed module foo to foobar
>   2.5.x+2: Removed module foobar becaus it sucks
>
> I could be talked into including bug fixes in the NEWS if the
> problem was already in the stable branch, but I think entries for
> problems that were introduced in the unstable branch are moot.
> Behaviuor within the unstable branch may change at any time,
> without notice.

I didn't want to interfere, because I mostly agreed with Dominik about 3
types of entries that should not be included (listed at the top), although
I understand the Olivier's reasons.

But I would not add anything above these 3 types. If there is a question
whether a change is minor or not, it is not minor, say, changes in spaces
or quotes may be considered minor, but not a name change. I *definitely*
want to see all user syntax changes in 2.5.x, 2.5.x+1, 2.5.x+2 sections.
Users use different versions, probably all of these, you can't provide a
support without pointing to versions when syntax was changed. For example,
I wanted to know when Style Border was renamed to Borders and I needed to
grep ChangeLog for this, because from just looking at NEWS it may seem
that there was never be "Border". Not very good for me.

Regards,
Mikhael.