On Mon, 16 Aug 2004, Dominik Vogt wrote:

On Sun, Aug 15, 2004 at 10:48:13AM -0500, fvwm-bug wrote:
 my MenuStyle is

 MenuStyle   Black grey SlateGrey
 -*-helvetica-medium-o-*-*-12-*-*-*-*-*-*-* mwm

 if the last character of a menu entry is for example an "l" or an
 "R", the upper right part of the glyph is not displayed, as if the
 width of the text would be measured at the base line and the slant
 causes the characters to go outside this box, the outside parts are
 not displayed.  When i highlight the entry with the mouse, the
 missing part is drawn and stays this way (until the menu vanishes).

I pinned down the problem, but have no fix.  In Flocale.c, the
function XmbTextEscapement is used to get the width of a string.
It returns the offset from the start of the string where the next
character would be printed, but for slanted fonts that is not the
width of the bounding box:

normal font:

   ^

 start of next character, width = 1

slanted font:

     /
    / ^
   /  |___ width of bounding box = 5
  /
 /
   ^

 start of next character, width = 1

Any idea what we can do about it?

Is there some property of the font telling how much slated it is? (in radians, or so... :-) )

And then, there's also xft to take care of. Or perhaps the corresponding xft functions compensate for this? It was a while since I messed with that code. But I could do some research in the matter...

//Marcus

Ciao