On Wed, Oct 27, 2004 at 11:06:27AM +0200, Per von Zweigbergk wrote:
> On Tue, 26 Oct 2004, Olivier Chapuis wrote:
> > On Tue, Oct 26, 2004 at 01:26:38PM -0500, Manoj Srivastava wrote:
> >
> > >  If the EWMHUseStackingOrderHints style is off, fullscren works, but
> > >  pager is not hidden. But, EWMH always-on-top modes such as the one
> > >  found in tvtime still works.
> > >

> > Maybe  tvtime use the old GNOME hints? What happen if you use
> > Style * IgnoreGnomeHints ?
>
> No. According to Billy Biggs (main developer of tvtime), he says that he's
> pretty sure that he uses EWMH hints only for this case. I haven't looked
> closely at the source code himself, though, but I could unless you know
> another way to check what tvtime uses.

I've just tried tvtime version 0.9.12. I can confirm that it uses the
EWMH fullscreen hint and no GNOME hints. However, If I've a stay on
top window (EWMHUseStackingOrderHints not enabled) this window is
*not* covered by tvtime.

What version of tvtime do you use?

I take fast look at the 0.9.13 source code. What *may* happen is that
after tvtime is mapped it ask to be above with the _NET_WM_STATE_ABOVE
hints (if a window want to be above it should set this state before
mapping). So, FVWM interprets this has a user query (e.g., the user
has used the kicker taskbar menu on the tvtime "icon") and not as a
program query and respect the user query (ignoring !EWMHUseStackingOrderHints).
If tvtime do effectively this, in my opinion, it tries to override
the wm stacking policy and this is not regular (and I will be not happy
with such application).

There is a plan to extend the EWMH spec so that the wm can know
who send a _NET_WM_STATE_FOO query (so if the app developers do
not cheat we will be able to handle the situation below).

Olivier