Date: Fri, 13 Feb 2004 03:37:32 -0600
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: XF86 custom keysyms are also usable

Full_Name: Emmanuel Thom..
Version: 2.4.x and 2.5.x
CVS_Date:
OS: fedora core 1, kernel 2.6
X_Server: XFree86 4.3
Submission from: (NULL) (152.81.8.127)

Excerpt from the fvwm man page:

Key Keyname Context Modifiers Function
       [...]
       The Keyname is one of the entries from
/usr/include/X11/keysymdef.h,
       with the leading XK_ omitted.
       [...]

This is correct, but under XFree86, it turns out that the XF86
vendor-specific keysyms also work. These are defined in
/usr/include/X11/XF86keysym.h (or, as far as Xlib is concerned, in
/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/XKeysymDB). For example, I have successfully set up the
following binding:

Key XF86AudioLowerVolume        A A Function MMK "AudioLowerVolume"

This means that when you read along the lines of XF86keysym.h,
XF86XK_AudioLowerVolume should really be read as XF86AudioLowerVolume ; the
XK_ prefix isn't in XKeysymDB.

Of course, this is only possibly useful if the running X server does
generate such keysyms, which require some configuration work.

In short, I suggest augmenting the quoted sentence above by  the
following:

        Under XFree86, you can also use any of the keysyms listed in
        /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/XKeysymDB. You are responsible of having your X
        server generating such events.

--
Dan Espen                               E-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]