> It looks like earthlink put my reply in your "suspect email" folder.

I got your first reply.  Thanks.  If I don't get to look at my suspect email
soon enought to put a previously unknown sender in my address book the well
meaning sender gets the alert that you got.  Sorry about that.

> Here is one more attempt to reach you and my original reply:

Thanks for responding and the additional info.

> Both those functions "menu" and "windowlist" are meant to grab the
> xserver and cause the "hang" that you observed.

But shouldn't the code waiting (or hanging) on a user's menu choice release
the wait when a menu choice has been chosen?  Maybe my use of the term
"hang" along with lack of some more information was misleading.

I took your advice and posted a slightly revised and hopefully more accurate
explanation to fvwm-workers@fvwm.org that (see below) where I say

    > > the mouse is moved.  For example if you launch an application using
    > > this it will not come up until the mouse is moved.

In other words, fvwm does the right thing according to the
RootMenu-or-WindowList function and displays the root menu or windows list
depending on whether the user single clicks or double clicks.  But when this
RootMenu-or-WindowList is asserted for "mouse 1" and then the user launches
an application from the root menu, *then* the application does not come up
until the mouse is moved.  If however, the RootMenu-or-WindowList function
is asserted for a title bar button this works fine.  And therefore this
seems like an inconsistency in the way that fvwm works,
ie. RootMenu-or-WindowList works fine at one place but not at another.

Bill