On Wed, Jul 05, 2006 at 02:35:10PM +0100, seventh guardian wrote:
> On 7/5/06, seventh guardian <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >Hi.
> >
> >I have found FVWM_DEBUG_MSGS and DEBUG ifdef's all over the code (as
> >expected). But it seems to me they are allways used at the same time,
> >one defining the other, and thus replaceable just by one of them. Is
> >this true or do they have distinct purposes?
> >
> >This supports my theory (from fvwmsignal.c):
> >
> >(...)
> >#ifdef FVWM_DEBUG_MSGS
> >volatile sig_atomic_t debug_term_signal = 0;
> >#endif
> >(...)
> >#ifdef DEBUG
> >        debug_term_signal = sig;
> >#endif
> >(...)
> >
> >So if FVWM_DEBUG_MSGS is not defined then we have an error. But for
> >instance FVWM_DEBUG_MSGS is defined by #ifdef DEBUG on FvwmPager, so..
> >
> >If they are used for the same purpose, then I'll clean the code up to
> >just use DEBUG.
> >

> After a bit of dig up, I realised that FVWM_DEBUG_MSGS is the true
> fvwm debug var (it is defined conditionally on config.h by
> ./configure).
>
> Some modules link to libfvwm.a, which should be already compiled (at
> least after the first module requiring it). The question is, DEBUG is
> only defined in the modules, which means that libfvwm.c is never
> compiled with debug support (see the code snipet on the first mail).
>
> Can this be confirmed or am I crazy? :)

Actually, there is no plan or design behind all the debug code.
It just appeared independently in the places where it was needed
at the given time.  Nowadays nobody can tell between usefull debug
code and stuff that is not needed anymore.  The only useful module
debug code I am aware of is in the FvwmAuto module.

Ciao