On Sun, Jul 09, 2006 at 01:00:08AM +0100, seventh guardian wrote:
> On 7/9/06, Dominik Vogt <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >Well, we have been very *very* conservative in the past about
> >backwards compatibility - and that patch breaks it.  It's no
> >longer possible to start fvwm with "-blackout".  I don't think
> >this is the right time to remove it.  Of course it's obsolete and
> >useless, but in the 2.x series we tried to keep compatibility as
> >much as possible.  The ominous 3.0 release (which is meant to
> >remove a lot of old and obsolete stuff) would be the place to
> >clean everything up.
>
> Well, it wasn't even useful to 2.4, and I doubt people would keep
> configs from pre-2.4.. So I thought it wouldn't matter. My fault.

Sometimes it is surprising how long it can take until everybody
has switched to a more recent release.  Some people stick to 2.2.x
for no other reason than that it is smaller.

> How can I reverse the change?

With a bit of CVS magic.  First, find out the revision numbers of
the changed files before and after the change.  For example, for
fvwm.c do

  $ cvs log -N fvwm.c
  ----------------------------
  revision 1.375
  date: 2006/07/07 23:34:31;  author: renato;  state: Exp;  lines: +0 -8
  Removed the warning about the obsolete option -blackout.
  Removed its reference from the manual.
  ----------------------------
  revision 1.374

(The relevant numbers are 1.374 and 1.375 here).

Next, generate a patch for that change:

  $ cvs diff -u -r 1.374 -r 1.375 fvwm.c > blackout.patch

(Double check that the patch contains only the changes you want to
reverse; edit the patch file if necessary).

Finally reverse-apply the patch:

  $ patch -p0 -R < blackout.patch

Repeat this for all affected files.  Well, although I've now done
the change myself locally, I leave it to you as it is a good
practive for using cvs :-)

--

While you're at it you can change the warning (and todo-3.0 file)
to inform the user that -blackout *will* be removed in 3.0.

> >> I'm still a bit overwelmed by the commit access, so I triple-check
> >> (instead of double-check) what I do :)

> Sorry, you're right.. Won't happen again :)

There's really no reason to feel disheartened.  I appreciate your
work very much and other surely do too.

Ciao