On Mon, Jul 17, 2006 at 06:19:48PM +0100, seventh guardian wrote:
> Hi.
>
> This idea just came into my head: why not #ifdef'ing the deprecated
> code and having configure.ac option "--disable-backcompat"?
>
> Examples:
>
> User A has an old config. So he downloads the new package, compiles it
> and installs it just like he allways did.
>
> User B has a new config and wants to compile fvwm so that it doesn't
> waste time/space looking for deprecated options. This could make
> fvwm run a tiny bit faster (?), and also would allow user B to see
> if its config is up-to-date (i.e., not using deprecated options). He
> downloads the new package, runs configure --disable-backcompat and
> compiles it.

Interesting idea.  The only "speed" increase I can see is that the
parser doesn't have to deal with those options.  Above and beyond that,
there's no other speed increase that I can foresee.

Personally though, I'd much rather leave this process to the user.
There have aleady been attempts at writing small parsers such as
fvwm-convert-2.{4,6} -- although they're not briliant they do a good
enough job.  I don't know of many people that use them though.

-- Thomas Adam

--
"If I were a witch's hat, sitting on her head like a paraffin stove, I'd
fly away and be a bat." -- Incredible String Band.