On Mon, Nov 15, 2021 at 12:45:18AM +0000, Thomas Adam wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 15, 2021 at 01:36:15AM +0100, Dominik Vogt wrote:
> > While we're at it, much of the markup could be removed.  The
> > manpage is partially unreadable because too many words have markup
> > (especially for the style command).
>
> Yeah.  I suspect this is a holdover from when the original man page was in raw
> Groff format, where such markup was quite common, and that's carried over from
> Dockbook -> Asciidoc.

Yes, it's mostly my fault.  I'm super correct with such things,
but bad at writing readable technical documentation.

> > (Also, the Style docuementation should possibly be put in a
> > separate manpage.  The monolithic manpage is intimidatingly large.
> > Even I am reluctant to use it.  Maybe like the zsh manpages: One
> > manpage per larger topic, and if you really insist on an ugly big
> > one, there's also "man fvwmall".  Should be generated from a
> > single source though.)
>
> That's now significantly easier thanks to Asciidoc being in use, I agree --

:-)  I love Asciidoc.  Since I became aware of it around 2000,
I've not ever used anything else (unless forced by customers).

> and it's a subject which has come up over the years.  I like the idea -- and
> we can definitely start with styles.  As you say, that's the bigger area of
> documentation.

> I've also never been a fan of styles being documented like this:
>
>     Foo / Bar / Baz
>
> Where the last one in the group (Bqz, in this case) is meant to be the
> default.  I suspect that convention hasn't been honoured properly for years,
> and we can certainly regroup these things to make it mor readable.

The good new is:  Since I'm almost the only person who ever wrote
styles in the last two decades, this should mostly be good.  I
always was very pedantic with that.

> > > I think it's best to try and keep line length to <=80 characters
> >
> > Sounds good.  If we could add the emacs config for that at the
> > start of the file that would help.  (Just press alt-q to reformat
> > a block.)
>
> I've been trying to move away from that convention in favour of using
> editorconfig:
>
> https://editorconfig.org/
>
> There's already a .editorconfig file in the top-level git repo.

Interesting.  Need to read up on how to use it from emacs.

> We could add
> the relevant section for .adoc files and then that would also apply to Vim as
> well (which is what I use).

Ciao

Dominik Vogt