On Fri, May 16, 2008 at 08:47:51AM -0400, Dan Espen wrote:
> Chris G <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> >> Well, if it crashes, does it leave a core file or print any error
> >> output?  THe snippet you posted earlier is not from fvwm itself.
> >>
> > When I click on "Enable" in Desktop Effects my whole desktop just goes
> > pop and I get returned to the GDM login screen.  Hence no "error
> > messages", as I'm running in init level 5 I don't think fvmw2 has a
> > tty to write to when it dies.
>
> That "Enable Desktop Effects" button is set up to replace the
> running window manager but it doesn't seem to actually start
> a full window manager.
>

> In my setup, when Fvwm stops I get a prompt
> asking me what window manager I want to run.
>
> So when I click on that button, fvwm stops running and I see
> the prompt.
>
> But there is no apparent window manager.
>
> When I answer the prompt I have to type in "fvwm2 -replace".
> "fvwm" by itself won't work.
>
> So, it seems that button:
>
> kills the running window manager
> Puts something in its place that isn't useful.
>
> Fvwm is not crashing, it's just stopping as requested.

That would explain it then, however it doesn't help me sort out the
original problem that I was trying to sort out.  I'm currently using
gnome-panel as the only 'extra' on my screen, I don't use fvwm's
buttons or similar.  Most of what I want I access via fvwm's menus,
it's only occasionally I go into the gnome-panel menus to find
something.

Since I'm using gnome-panel I also use the gnome Workspace Switcher
which sits happily as an applet in the gnome-panel.  The problem is
that there is an interaction between the Workspace Switcher and
Desktop Effects which is why I want to change the settings in Desktop
Effects.

I realise this is getting a bit far from fvwm2 now though.

Is there any equivalent of gnome-panel in fvwm2 where I could park
FvwmPager?  Can I get the gnome-panel menus into the same place?  The
gnome menus have the big advantage of automatically adding new
programs when you install them.

--
Chris Green