On Tue, 5 May 2009, Bill Marcum wrote:

A) local xterm started from menu via a plain Exec xterm

    this invokes a very simple resource file ~/XTerm (attached)
    the resulting shell has NO LC_CTYPE variable set
    the resulting xterm has UTF mode on though dimmed (control-MB3)
UTF support works perfectly
Is LANG set? What is the output of the "locale" command?

LANG is not set in such xterm, and locale returns all POSIX. However
everything works perfectly !!

However I can see that my .login contains a setenv LC_CTYPE en_US.UTF-8
(this was a tentative I did a while ago). It should not matter since individual shells/ xterms should NOT execute .login (and in fact LC_CTYPE is not set).

I have no idea whether fvwm or whatever is the lead X process in the complex SuSe X login do execute .login.

"Nature" on government cuts to research       http://snipurl.com/4erid
"Nature" e i tagli del governo alla ricerca   http://snipurl.com/4erko