2010/1/7 MK <halfcountp...@intergate.com>:
> On Thu, 07 Jan 2010 14:22:38 +0100
> Zoilo Gomez <zo...@xs4all.nl> wrote:
>
>> > It looks as though some applications (vlc, xine, etc) still pass the click
>> > to the window which allows the client to accept focus.  Thus, although you
>> > have "NeverFocus" set, it's not doing it's job properly.
>> >

>> I do not understand what you mean - in any case there is no mouse click
>> or so.
>
> I would guess that if you are using, eg, SloppyFocus, even tho you do not
> have to click on the app, fvwm must pass a "focus" window event to the
> application, which is what would happen if you had to click to focus.

It handles the EnterNotify event on the window and sets focus accordingly.

> Of course with NeverFocus this should not happen.  In fact, you *do not say
> that the VLC window takes focus* -- you just
> say the Flashplayer window loses it.  Is that correct?  If so, I would say
> that is a choice made by the flashplayer -- when it
> goes out of fullscreen, it gives up focus -- probably when recalculating the
> geometry, the mouse is considered to "leave".
> Then it focusses again when it recieves the appropriate window event
> notification (when you move the mouse *back into* > the window).  The fact
> that the mouse is already in the window does not count, since we cannot be
> continually sending
> this signal -- it only happens when the mouse enters (SloppyFocus) or you
> click inside.

No -- VLC really is taking focus, as are other applications like Xine
when NeverFocus is set.  FVWM propagates the click event to the
application which is setting focus on it, stealing it away from the
window which had the focus originally.  This has nothing to do with
the focus policy used -- if anything it's more noticeable with
SloppyFocus because you wouldn't ordinarily click the client window to
take focus.   FVWM receives the buttonpress event, works out whether
the window should handle focus or not, propagating the click events as
necessary to the application.  With XTerm, there are only
{Enter,Leave}Notify events as you'd expect, as well as KeymapNotify
events.  But with Xine and Vlc, PropertyNotify events are being
generated on my setup -- this shouldn't happen.

Zolio, if you set the "Unmanaged" style on the Vlc window temporarily,
this should sort  you out.