On Fri, Jan 08, 2010 at 05:25:38PM +0100, Viktor Griph wrote:
> 2010/1/8 Jim Kalb <jimk...@gmail.com>:
> > I just tried upgrading to 2.5.28 and both stopped working.
> >
> > [...]
> >
> > So I assume that there's some generally-used window manager
> > modernization that breaks xcuckoo and probably nothing can be done about
> > it short of modifying xcuckoo (not something I'm competent to do).
>
> Can you give fvwm 2.5.27 a try? I think what you are seeing is the
> result of the "Fvwm now retains utf8 window names when the WM_NAME
> changes, and the utf8 name converted to the default charset match the
> old WM_NAME" bug fix in 2.5.28.

Hmm.  I am not so sure.  The condition SET_HAS_EWMH_WM_NAME(fw, 1) for
that fix was just shifted up -- but it has always been set in
fvwm/ewmh_names.c::EWMH_WMName() to True.

When a client receives a PropertyNotify event, and the event was for
WM_NAME, then we just return immediately from any further processing if the
fw window has EWMH_WM_NAME.  So the only time a WM_NAME event change can
happen from things like xprop and wmctrl can only be when the client isn't
listening to such things -- which for most apps is going to be rare.

"It was the cruelest game I've ever played and it's played inside my head."
-- "Hush The Warmth", Gorky's Zygotic Mynci.