On Sun, Jun 13, 2010 at 09:58:56PM -0400, des...@verizon.net wrote:
> Thomas Adam <tho...@xteddy.org> writes:
> > 2.  Perhaps more importantly, we have a number of users who compile FVWM up
> > themselves, or we have environments where FVWM is deployed in rather
> > interesting circumstances (perhaps you've alluded to one below, in your
> > deployment scenario?) -- out-of-the-box, FVWM won't "work", due to these
> > external dependencies not being part of most base-perl installs.  It was OK
> > for FvwmTabs, that has a handy TK dialogue to tell you as such -- but for
> > a script a number of people are using, and *will* be using, it's slightly
> > frustrating.
>
> Pretty much agree but XML parsing from Perl isn't that rare.
> Especially for users that will want auto generated menus.
> As long as it's an optional feature, I think it's okay.

Well, the script's use itself is optional, yes.  But the dependencies it
relies on obviously cannot be.  :)

> > If you or *anyone* else wanted to actually help, by all means look at
> > writing more purify tests -- that alone would likely throw up some
> > interesting bugs if they were structured properly -- I have several ideas on
> > how to improve these tests, so if anyone is seriously interested, do please
> > ask me!
>
> As I remember, Dominik created the tests and I took one pass thru the
> man pages vs. the tests.  It was a horrible, boring experience, one I
> never wanted to repeat again.

Well I for one am very appreciative we have at least that -- even if it was
all those years ago.  Thanks.  :)

> I thought maybe we could come up with a scheme were when a new command
> was written, we'd add comments to the source code that could be
> auto-generated into test cases.  Sadly, I think the plan was too
> ambitious.

Well that was one idea -- and it need not be as elaborate as comments or
anything.  I was thinking more along the lines of having a testing framework
written in something like perl (as many do exist) which could be used to
aggregate many test of different types (Styles, Menus, Decors, etc) all of
which have a common interface, for exmple.  That way, reports can easily be
generated, etc.

> I think the Purify tests put too much of a burden on the project and
> we shouldn't put a lot of effort into them.

Hmm -- as they stand at the moment, most likely they do.  But I have already
appreciated their benefit first-hand, despite them being somewhat outdated
already.  If it wasn't for those tests, Dan, I'd not have been able to fix
your menu background pixmap issue back in December.  :)

I certainly don't think anyone's efforts are in vain whatsoever if they
wanted to make a start on this -- but yes, it might initially be boring, but
the benefits for FVWM which come from it are likely to be huge in terms of
bug-fixing, spotting problems, etc.